What's cooking NCT Sunday 5/14/2017 - Saturday 5/20/2017?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Re: What's cooking NCT Sunday 5/7/2017 - Saturday 5/13/2017?

Friday night, the plan was the local Bistro - Turns out, they have live music on Fridays, and the place is just too small for a four piece Rock Band, so we got back in the car....

Decided to give "High Tides" a second shot, even tho' we were burned the first time, when their "Filet" turned out to be a sirloin cut that everybody else calls a "Baseball Steak".

There will be no third shot....

I ordered the "Cajun" Tilapia and Shrimp....

Nothing Cajun about it ... Totally bland, even lacking salt ! The Tilapia was served UNDER something called a "Bechamel Rice, Quinoa and Corn Chowder" (Totally bland !), which soaked the fish down to a sloppy mess...
The shrimp had the consistency of a product that's been cooked, set aside, and re-heated when an order reached the line...

The Warden's "Blackened Red Snapper" was terribly over-cooked, again with none of the bite a "Blackened" seasoning should have. Matter of fact, the only "Blackening" that took place was the leading edge of the cut, which was black, hard like kindling.

..........Should have went to Red Lobster; the food would have been better, and the bill would have been less !

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

The Cheesecake Factory is on the itinerary today - First visit for us !

Last night was comfort Night;
Chili Cheese Dogs, Curly Fries w/ Sriracha Ketchup, Mexi-Corn with peas.

And a Salad, of course !

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

Save room for some Godiva cheesecake!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

THX, Medtran !

I'll probably be carrying it home for later, tho' ...

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm cooking Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn planned.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I had round two of Mama's Day dinner out at Applebee's.
The Cajun pork chop with apple chutney and maple butter, pecan mashed sweet potato and broccoli.

Wow, that thing was half the size of the one shown on the menu.
Thick, but 5 bites and it was gone.
Beautiful presentation tho lol

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Cheesecake Factory for Mother's Day !

........But I've had a realization that all of my Dining Out info doesn't belong in "What's Cooking", so in future, those posts will be in the "Dining Out" Forum !

Gotta do a roast today- Thawed it out for yesterday's dinner, until we were invited out, so, a rare Monday roast !

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Just curious, does whoever it is that moves posts around actually read them before moving, or just look at dates. The first 2 posts in this thread were for Saturday night dinners, the 13th, and were originally posted on last week's thread. Mine even states that it was Saturday night's dinner, besides the fact that I don't generally talk about dinner in the past tense at 9:04 a.m.

Anyway, Sunday, Dogboa spent most of the day making boudin sausage. I helped him get it stuffed and we also kept some bulk. Since I did a lot of cooking Saturday, 2 meals and a dessert, he also made dinner, chicken marsala over pasta.

For dinner tonight, Monday, we'll have sliders made from some leftover porchetta that's been in the freezer. It will be thin sliced on the meat slicer, with caramelized onions and melted gruyere cheese with some kind of potato. Don't know if I'll make some chips or hand cut fries yet, we'll see. I'm getting ready to head outside and do some plant work and then start cleaning the house.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe the What's Cooking threads should be changed to What's For Dinner etc, that way when those of us members here don't always cook or have pictures to share don't feel left out.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
That is Great Idea Sass. I have never been to Cheesecake Factory, & we have many of them here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Because of Lucky's post. I'll try them out. "WHAT'S FOR DINNER IS A GOOD IDEA."

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
or . . ."What's Eatin?" (g)

curiously, I've had two Cheesecake Factory visits. the first was strictly for 'let's have a slice' - i.e. just a dessert thing.

then we did a meal thing. that didn't go so well. but keep in mind it's a chain, I suppose franchises? so quality / service / etc can vary widely 'on the same menu' - a truism I've found holds for a lotta' chain places. and things change - we went to a local Cheddar's - it was great. went back 4-5 months later, it was terrible.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I forgot about the roasted vege mayo that goes on the porchetta sliders, besides the gruyere and caramelized onions. We ended up with homemade potato chips.

CgcCwNNiSohW-cZ5meiKeCMmKC00Ujt3TihsQAo_PFQpX92IB

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
or . . ."What's Eatin?" (g)

curiously, I've had two Cheesecake Factory visits. the first was strictly for 'let's have a slice' - i.e. just a dessert thing.

then we did a meal thing. that didn't go so well. but keep in mind it's a chain, I suppose franchises? so quality / service / etc can vary widely 'on the same menu' - a truism I've found holds for a lotta' chain places. and things change - we went to a local Cheddar's - it was great. went back 4-5 months later, it was terrible.

Last time I went to Cheddar's I got the chicken tenders.
:ohmy:
Now those things were huge, I mean like a whole chicken breast cut in half and breaded huge.

Tonight it was a simple shrimp salad in bibb lettuce cups.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Just curious, does whoever it is that moves posts around actually read them before moving, or just look at dates. The first 2 posts in this thread were for Saturday night dinners, the 13th, and were originally posted on last week's thread. Mine even states that it was Saturday night's dinner, besides the fact that I don't generally talk about dinner in the past tense at 9:04 a.m.

Anyway, Sunday, Dogboa spent most of the day making boudin sausage. I helped him get it stuffed and we also kept some bulk. Since I did a lot of cooking Saturday, 2 meals and a dessert, he also made dinner, chicken marsala over pasta.

For dinner tonight, Monday, we'll have sliders made from some leftover porchetta that's been in the freezer. It will be thin sliced on the meat slicer, with caramelized onions and melted gruyere cheese with some kind of potato. Don't know if I'll make some chips or hand cut fries yet, we'll see. I'm getting ready to head outside and do some plant work and then start cleaning the house.

I didn't realize that we had a problem................

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Smoked turkey breast, stuffing, steamed broccoli and turkey gravy.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had minestrone I started Saturday, froze half of it, then finished up the rest by adding more broth and pasta. Dogboa made garlic toasts.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've got a roast in the crock pot and planning on some oven roasted potatoes, onions,carrots, and some gravy. It's been so long since I've had gravy.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Wednesday night was truffled (oil) crawfish mac and cheese. Cheeses were fontina and gruyere, with parm in the panko topping.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
He who calls me Aunt Lollie made us dinner tonight, along with one of his friends.

Oven ribs wrapped in foil and cooked at 275 'til they fell off the bone. then brushed with Heinz Kansas City Sweet and Smoky sauce.

He also cooked some pasta, then made a cold salad ahead of time with cuke, onion and ranch dressing.

Thank you Mike and Cruz!
:a1:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Friday night's dinner was wild rice, corn, carrot, onion, garlic, andouille sausage soup. It was really good.

m4qKfvfBAstGIRognNsNptshkncTFhULC2a10z214K4pX92IB

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep, please tell us how you ended up doing your turkey breast.

Any photos?

Lee
Sorry no photos. The camera battery was dead.

I will try to write it up asap and post a thread.

It was good. Tasted better the second day.

Johnny West

Tonight it was vegetable lasagna with La Brea Italian bread and strawberry shortcake for dessert. The California strawberrys have been very good, so far.