Red Cabbage or Green Cabbage?

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Whats the difference between the two? Nutrients? Taste?

Ive had both of course but they were always together so I dont remember a texture or taste difference. My friend asked me and I really didnt know what to tell him.

smoke king

Banned
LOL!! That's a good question DS!! I'm sure there has to be a difference, but I have no idea either!!

I like to use red for braised cabbage and S&S cabbage soup, but green for most everything else. I hate to say it, but for me its asthetics!

CharlieD

I like to have red one raw, for salads, or just to munch on it. For soups or cooking I'd only use the green one, because I do not like how red turns color when cooked.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use both all the time and have never really noticed a taste difference between the two cooked. Raw the red seems a bit stronger but again not by much. You probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you did a side by side tasting of both.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Red and Green taste pretty much the same as Joe said. And like Charlie said, the red can bleed the color off when cooked.

Red typically has more vitamin C and antioxidants, while green has more Folate (Vitamin B9). Other than that, pretty much identical.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with that assessment Kei and I like to use both in coleslaw.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
and i like to mix it up a bit and use either red cabbage for my cabbage rolls or lately it has been napa cabbage...it seems sweeter and easier to make the rolls

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use napa cabbage for cabbage rolls and in my Kim Chee. I think it is a touch sweeter than most other cabbages. It is also great cooked with a bit of bacon, apple and vinegar.

FryBoy

I also like savoy cabbage.

savory-cabbage-thumb6288292.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Bok Choy is another favorite of mine also. I had some the other night with my grilled lobster at the ECG Friday night restaurant which was excellent I might add. The restaurant is http://www.savorygrille.com/ and the vegetables aren't listed on the menu as it is what ever is fresh. In my case the lobster came with bok choy, asparagus and risotto and was perfectly cooked. The vegetables were steamed to just the right amount of crispness. The salad was good as was the lobster and the dressing was to die for on the salad.