Golumpki (stuffed cabbage)

homecook

I've been making these for years......it's my grandmothers' recipe.

1-1/2 to 2 lbs. ground meat
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cooked rice
salt
pepper
1/4 cup minced onion, you can use dried onions
1-2 heads of cabbage, depending on size, you don't want the leaves to be too big
2 cans tomato soup
water

Mix together first seven ingredients. Cut around core of cabbage, wrap in wax paper and put in microwave for 10-12 minutes. The leaves should be softened and separated from core. You can also put cabbage in pot of boiling water and wait for leaves to separate from core, about 20 minutes. Remove leaves.

Take a handful (1/2 cup) of meat mixture put at top of cabbage leaf and roll up burrito style until all mixture and leaves are done.
In bottom of roaster put chopped cabbage from larger outer leaves of cabbage and some of the inner part of cabbage. Lay cabbage rolls, seam side down on top. Top with leftover chopped cabbage.

Mix together tomato soup and 2 cans water. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and bake for about 1-1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Halfway through you may want to baste the sauce over the rolls.

You should get 10-12 cabbage rolls depending on how big you make them. You don't want them too big. These freeze well too.

Last edited:

Deelady

Wow you are fast!!! Thank you!! I am definately making it this week! All I need is the cabbage and beef! I already told hubby and showed him the pic and he readily agreed!! :D
Thanks again my friend!!

homecook

I've been making these for years......it's my grandmothers' recipe.

1-1/2 to 2 lbs. ground meat
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cooked rice
salt
pepper
1/4 cup minced onion, you can use dried onions
1-2 heads of cabbage, depending on size, you don't want the leaves to be too big
2 cans tomato soup
water

Mix together first seven ingredients. Cut around core of cabbage, wrap in wax paper and put in microwave for 10-12 minutes. The leaves should be softened and separated from core. You can also put cabbage in pot of boiling water and wait for leaves to separate from core, about 20 minutes. Remove leaves.

Take a handful (1/2 cup) of meat mixture put at top of cabbage leaf and roll up burrito style until all mixture and leaves are done.
In bottom of roaster put chopped cabbage from larger outer leaves of cabbage and some of the inner part of cabbage. Lay cabbage rolls, seam side down on top. Top with leftover chopped cabbage.

Mix together tomato soup and 2 cans water. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and bake for about 1-1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Halfway through you may want to baste the sauce over the rolls.

You should get 10-12 cabbage rolls depending on how big you make them. You don't want them too big. These freeze well too.
I added some pics.
003.jpg
002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, I don't even like cabbage but that looks delicious, Barb! I showed it to my neighbor and we have decided to make it for this weekend. Thanks, girlfriend!

Deelady

Oh good I was going to ask you about the added layered chopped cabbage, at first I thought it might be so the rolls don't stick to the pan, but now seeing it I'm guessing it just adds to the sauce....

I was planning at first to use a large glass roasting pan but then I noticed it needs to be covered....can I use a cast iron DO?

homecook

I add the extra chopped cabbage because I like it. lol It does add to the sauce when you put it on your taters......
I don't see why you couldn't use the DO. You would just have to layer them which isn't a problem.

The pic with them in the roaster was after we ate. I forgot to take the before pic. There were 8 in that small roaster. The other 4 were put in the freezer.

I hope you do try it Terry. I think you'll like them! You're welcome!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
looks good, I remember having some when we visited Poland many years ago.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love stuffed cabbage Barb.
You made your meal exactly with the same sides I'd have chosen! lol

I use mashed potatoes and corn too when I prepare stuffed green peppers.
Yummy dish girlfriend!

chowhound

OK. I never rolled a burrito...
Can you describe how you are folding the cabbage to conceal all the meat mixture? Is it like; put the meat on one side of the leaf, fold the leaf over the meat, fold in the ends, then roll? I can see me getting frustrated with this part.

These are something I never ate as a kid, but love as an adult. My family called them pigs in a blanket, but they were made with burger and not pork, so I'm not sure where they came up with that.

homecook

Ok, Fred, I'll try my best....lol I should have taken pics but didn't think of it.

Once the cabbage leaves are pliable have the stem end towards you. Form the meat into a somewhat oval and place it right on top of the stem end. If the stem part (spine) is too hard just cut it out. Sometimes it just won't soften enough. Roll the cabbage over the meat away from you, turn the ends in and then keep rolling, it will stay together. When you put them in the pan put the seam end down.

How's that? Does it make sense?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, chow. Put the filling on the core end of the leaf and fold up as you described.

Barb, those look fabulous!

My family makes them the same way, including the chopped cabbage, except they never used tomato soup, the way other Polish families in the neighborhood did. They added a little chicken broth, then laid strips of salt pork over the tops of the golumpki before baking. Before serving, they put the roasting pan under the broiler to brown the tops.

Looks like I'll be the one making these this year.

Lee

homecook

Thank you, Lee!

Yes, you're way is certainly different. lol I wonder how the taste would compare.
My sister-in-law always put saurkraut in hers. I don't like them that way at all.

You're welcome Fred, glad it helped.

phreak

That looks like the exact recipe that's been handed down in our family. One of our favorites for sure!

CharlieD

Ooooh, I don't even like cabbage but that looks delicious, Barb! I showed it to my neighbor and we have decided to make it for this weekend. Thanks, girlfriend!

If you do not like cabbage, just like me, do what I do. Instead of using the whole leaves of cabbage I buy Cole Slaw(sp?), make meat balls per recipe (though I do not understand purpose of milk), also I would recommend meat that is more tender. Personally keeping kosher doesn’t allow me to use the other white meat, but I really think it is much better choice for stuffed cabbage or as they are called in Ukraine Goluptsi. But that’s beside the point. Where was I, aha Cole slaw? Grate some additional carrots and dice some onion finely, mix together. Now layer the pot with the mixture and meat balls, add some more of cabbage mix and meat again, and make sure the last layer of meat balls is covered with cabbage. Now cook per instruction. By the time you are finished cabbage will become practically non existent, or at least not really visible.

CharlieD

OK. I never rolled a burrito...
Can you describe how you are folding the cabbage to conceal all the meat mixture? Is it like; put the meat on one side of the leaf, fold the leaf over the meat, fold in the ends, then roll? I can see me getting frustrated with this part.

These are something I never ate as a kid, but love as an adult. My family called them pigs in a blanket, but they were made with burger and not pork, so I'm not sure where they came up with that.

Basicaly you should make an envilope.

CharlieD

Thank you. Live nd learn as they say. I learned that from somebody else who did not like the cabbage. I used to un-roll them and throw cabbage away, like this by the time they are done cabbage practicaly melted into the sauce and is invisible, if i can't see it, I can't comlplain.

chowhound

That's how my BIL is about onions. If they are diced small enough and liquify, he'll eat it, but if he sees just one...

K

Kimchee

The other night I was in the mood for them, but was feeling lazy.
Lazy Golumpki in the crock pot isn't at all bad!
Same ingredients, just chop the cabbage instead of wrapping, LOL!

homecook

My grandmother always put milk in her golumpki, meatloaf and meatballs. Don't ask me why I just followed directions.....lol