Cheese for Philly Cheese Steaks

Blues Man

I made some cheesesteak sammies last night. I used good old Kraft singles........... What cheese do you use?

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Philladelphia cheese steak sandwiches, I believe, are traditionally made with cheese whiz. I personally cannot stand the stuff, and generally use provolone or cheddar.

chowhound

I just saw a special on these sandwiches a couple weeks ago. The one restaurant claiming to have authentic Philly cheese steak sandwiches used cheese whiz and the other one... I don't remember.
I use Swiss cheese. I love swiss cheese and steak.

Blues Man

I've used a number of different types of cheese. I think the Kraft singles have been my favorite so far. Lots of opinions out there......

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
My personal fav is New Yorker provolone. Mozzarella is great too. There are so many variations of steak sandwiches that no one answer works. Obviously, it's what tastes good to you, but.... ugh Cheese Whiz... which is what they use in Center City.

Joe, didn't I make cheese steaks for the first ECG?

Meme4251

Blues, would you mind sharing your recipe with me? Remember awhile back a pic of yours and they sure looked delicious...My son just raves them from Subway but I am not crazy over them. Thought I'd try them for him one evening. Thanks, Meme/sh

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My personal fav is New Yorker provolone. Mozzarella is great too. There are so many variations of steak sandwiches that no one answer works. Obviously, it's what tastes good to you, but.... ugh Cheese Whiz... which is what they use in Center City.

Joe, didn't I make cheese steaks for the first ECG?

I don't remember you making them but we did get some at your pizza place. Most I've had use provolone, Swiss or Mozzarella second but not often. American cheeze or cheeze whiz is a very poor substitute. :puke1:

Blues Man

I'm no expert on Philly cheese steaks but here is what I did.

I took a small top sirloin beef roast and seasoned it with garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. I cooked it in the oven at 200 degrees for 2-1/2 hours. It should be cooked on the outside and very rare on the inside. Slice the roast very thin. Heat some oil in a skillet until hot and add the sliced beef.

100_0893.jpg

When it starts to brown, add slices of American cheese on top. Place a piece of sliced French bread on top.

100_0894.jpg

When the cheese is melted, squeeze the bread together and remove to a plate.

100_0897.jpg

Top with sauteed peppers and onions if desired.

Blues, would you mind sharing your recipe with me? Remember awhile back a pic of yours and they sure looked delicious...My son just raves them from Subway but I am not crazy over them. Thought I'd try them for him one evening. Thanks, Meme/sh

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Watched Bobby Flay last night. He stole your idea and made them the same way. Used a provolone sauce instead of Cheez Whiz. He probably reads this forum for his ideas.