Pasta Puttanesca

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I first saw The Frugal Gourmet make this on TV and had to try it. LOVED it!

The flavors of each ingredient are bold, but when you simmer them together for 10 minutes, they calm down and marry into a rich, savory sauce, where no one ingredient stands out.

Made it again tonight for the first time in a long time (had some leftover anchovies from last night's Caesar salad, and being a frugal Bostonian, HAD to use them up!).

YUMMMM!

Lee

Pasta Puttanesca

3 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
4 or 5 anchovies, chopped
1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
1 teas. capers, chopped
1/2 box pasta (I love linguini)
black pepper
chopped parsley and red pepper flakes for garnish

Saute minced garlic in oil until golden. Add olives, anchovies, tomato, and capers, black pepper. Simmer.

Cook pasta, drain. Toss pasta with half of the sauce. Pour rest of the sauce on top, and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and parsley just before serving.

No cheese on this dish!
Pasta Puttanesca.JPG

Last edited:

Johnny West

I made this tonight but left out the anchovies since I make this for my son. It's a new recipe, to me, but smilar to all the rest. I used a cup of chopped olives (kalamata, nicosie, and castelvetrano) and a quarter cup of capers.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/puttanesca-sauce-0

Attachments

• ########Puttenesca.JPG
    ########Puttenesca.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,037
  • ########Pttenesca MS.JPG
    ########Pttenesca MS.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 1,078

Johnny West

This is the recipe I used the time - I think I usually use Martha Stewart's recipe.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11583-pasta-puttanesca

INGREDIENTS

Salt to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 or more cloves garlic, lightly smashed and peeled
3 or more anchovy fillets
1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ cup pitted black olives, preferably oil-cured
2 tablespoons capers
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
1 pound linguine or other long pasta
Chopped fresh parsley, oregano, marjoram or basil leaves for garnish, optional

PREPARATION

Bring pot of water to boil and salt it. Warm 2 tablespoons oil with garlic and anchovies in skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is lightly golden.
Drain tomatoes and crush with fork or hands. Add to skillet, with some salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down and mixture becomes saucy, about 10 minutes. Stir in olives, capers and red pepper flakes, and continue to simmer.
Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until it is tender but not mushy. Drain quickly and toss with sauce and remaining tablespoon of oil. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary, garnish with herbs if you like, and serve.

Attachments

• #####Puttenesca.jpg
    #####Puttenesca.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,035

Johnny West

We don't use anchovies and I also use an assortment of green and kalamata olives from the olive bar at Fred's.

Johnny West

That surprises me - I thought you loved anything that swam!

Your photos are making my mouth water and it's not even 8 a.m.

Lee

I do, but my son is a vegetarian so I leave them off. I suppose I could add at the table like I do with caesar salad.

Johnny West

I picked Amelia up from school yesterday sp made her pasta and red sauce for dinner and puttanesca for Peter and me. It's easy to do and so good. I added a bit Of PN's marinara to the sauce to thicken a bit. The olives from Fred Mayer's (Kroger) olive bar are so good. The linguini is from Italy.