Portuguese "Jag"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There are as many recipes for jagacida as there are Portuguese families. But rice, Portuguese sausage and beans are the staples.

Dad prefers kielbasa to linguica or chourico, and his favorite legumes are green peas and limas. I bought frozen vegs, nuked them, and added what I needed.

This stuff is easy and delicious! Dad will be pleased!

Lee

Portuguese Jag Recipe

8 ounces of bacon, diced (or bacon fat)
1 large onion, diced
8 ounces of
linguica, skinned and diced (I used beef kielbasa, diced)
2 1/2 cups hot water
1 cup rice
1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked)
dash of pepper
1 jar of lima bean, drained (or frozen limas and frozen peas)
2 tablespoons butter

In deep skillet, fry bacon until it's almost crispy; then add onion. Fry a little longer then add linguica. Fry a bit longer.

When it's done, add the hot water. When water boils, add rice, paprika and pepper. Cover and simmer over low flame for 25 minutes, then stir in lima beans and butter and take off heat.

Jag.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My Dad and I were on vacation last week, in the glorious town at the end of Cape Cod, Provincetown MA. We rented a lovely condo, so I brought some easy meals to heat up, one of which was "jag".

At home, I cooked 2 bags of Success white rice and mixed it with sautéed onions, smoked paprika and a bag of cooked frozen peas. Foodsaved the mixture.

At the condo, I bought a smoked kielbasa (linguica is traditional, but is too spicy for Dad), which I split, grilled and chopped up.

Nuked the rice mixture, added the hot, grilled meat cubes and wa-la! Easy peasy meal (no pun intended!).

Lee
Polish jag.JPG

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm going to make this for DW, but use broccoli as she doesn't like peas or lima beans, and use turkey sausage because of my diet (down 24# in 30 days).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
.... because of my diet (down 24# in 30 days).

Wow, Joe, that is terrific!

Must be hell to lose weight when you are such a spectacular baker!

Nice going!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Here it is my adapted recipe, doubling the rice, using chicken broth, adding a can of kidney beans.

And this time I used linguica (the RIGHT thing to use!) - much better than kielbasa!

Lee

Jag

½ lb. of bacon, diced
1 large onion, diced
8 ounces of
linguica, skinned and diced
2 cans chicken broth
2 cups rice
1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular or smoked)
dash of pepper
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons butter

In deep skillet, fry bacon until it's almost crispy; then add onion. Fry a little longer then add linguica. Fry a bit longer.

When it's done, add the chicken broth. When broth boils, add rice, paprika and pepper. Cover and simmer over low flame for 20 minutes, then stir in peas and simmer for 5 minutes. At the end, stir in kidney beans and butter and take off heat.

Jag.JPG

Last edited: