How much pasta?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I always have trouble gauging how much dry pasta to boil for a meal. I seem to want to make too little, but the serving size on the box always seems like way too much. Is there a guideline on how much dry pasta per serving by weight?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Well, there is the MyPyramid guide to the proper portion, and then there is the Italian guide to the proper portion.

Are you serving this as the main meal or is going to be a side dish? Another factor is the type of pasta shape you get. A pound of rigatoni looks like less than a pound of linguini.

If I'm going to serve ziti and meatballs for dinner, one pound will serve 4 people with very little left over.

Ol-blue

I agree with VeraBlue. A pound of pasta generally serves 4 as a main course and 6 to 8 as a side dish.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
With just my wife and I most of the time we simply open a whole 1 lb box and cook it up. Now, if we are using a sauce with it we only put the amount we will eat per plate full in it setting the rest aside. This I put in a plastic bag and put in the refrigerator to reheat later if I need more. The only thing I do to the stored pasta is salt it a bit while still hot and drizzle a little olive oil over it to keep it from sticking. To reheat boil some water with a bit of salt and put the cooked in for a few second to a minute depending on the type then take it out. I also like pasta with oil and butter so I'll melt the butter in some oil on the stove and when hot put the pasta in it for a till it heats up a bit then to the plate. It does keep a few days in the frig if cooked and bagged.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I usually make pasta as a main dish, but even then 1/4 pound seems like a lot, and I can eat! :biggrin: Thanks for your responses!

lilylove

I always always make tooooo much. But, I find that it freezes fine. Just do it with out the sauce.

AllenOK

I would say, make to much, then bag/freeze the extra.

I love having extra spaghetti. I'll turn that into Lo Mein the next day.

High Cheese

Saucier
I genuinely hate cooking pasta....it's bo-ring!

For the DW and I, 1/2 a pound is enough for us and a little leftover for the mutt. I'll also cook a whole box then save the cooked pasta in the fridge to use with a different sauce. When the sauce is done in a large pan, I just throw in the pasta and stir. VOILA! Dinner is done! For instance: I may make bowtie with a tomato/sausage sauce one night, then chicken and artickokes in a creamy parmesan sauce another night. Two totally different meals, one box of pasta. You can turn it into a side dish too.

buckytom

Grill Master
i agree with everyone. if i'm piggin' out by myself on sunday gravy, then a half pound is no problem. maybe more. :pig:

but 4 servings from a pound is more reasonable, for humans.