Pls help w/cookie recipe, why to freeze ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Found an interesting looking cookie recipe, but after mixing, it says to chill for 15 minutes than form into log and freeze, then slice to bake.

What is the chemistry behind this? (I am asking not because of laziness, because I am loathe to slice a hunk of cookie dough; I haven't been able to make nice looking slices; I'd rather form cookies the old-fashioned way).

The recipe calls for melted chocolate with butter, then mixing in an egg, coffee powder, sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and more chocolate.

Thanks !

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I used to make a frozen sugar cookie recipe all the time, and wasn't crazy about slicing it from frozen either, but you can always tidy up the bottom of the slices with your fingers before baking, if you're concerned they won't look the best.

Possibly using a piece of dental floss to slice into the slightly thawed dough might make for neater looking slices, however, I'd use a plain (unflavoured) dental floss, unless you're a fan of chocolate and mint! lol

Good luck with the cookies, Little Moosie!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Okay, thank you .... I wonder how bad they'd be if I chilled the dough and baked them in regular ovals? Guess I can try it if I don't get an answer here .....

Anyone else ?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My guess would be that the colder the dough, the less they will spread making thicker, chewier, softer cookies.

smoke king

Banned
My guess would be that the colder the dough, the less they will spread making thicker, chewier, softer cookies.

I would second that, makes sense when you think about it. I read in a magazine (readers tips-my favorite part!) recently about a lady who after forming the log, fills a loaf pan with rice and sets the log in that to freeze, thus keeping it nice and round. Never tried it myself, but I found it interesting, especially if you dont mind dirtying up a couple of loaf pans and using up your rice!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I would second that, makes sense when you think about it. I read in a magazine (readers tips-my favorite part!) recently about a lady who after forming the log, fills a loaf pan with rice and sets the log in that to freeze, thus keeping it nice and round. Never tried it myself, but I found it interesting, especially if you dont mind dirtying up a couple of loaf pans and using up your rice!

Interesting. What does the rice do? Does she pour the rice all over the log to kind of "bury" it to help keep its shape, or is there another purpose?

Phiddlechik

The rice would help with the bottom of the roll staying round because it's not resting on a flat surface.
Freezing the dough keeps the spread to a minimum. Although I have done the same with well-chilled dough.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Once you get it formed into a roll, why not just wrap it tightly in cling film (further forming it into a nice solid roll) then freeze? Takes all the mystery and the science out of it.
Unwrap then slice and bake.

I'm out of K, but that really sounds like a GREAT idea! :clap:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm out of K, but that really sounds like a GREAT idea! :clap:
Keltin that's how Sister Georgina taught us how to make cookie dough in home economics, and that's the way Grams always did her sugar cookies.
It's simple and it works.

Phiddlechik

I think one would wrap it before they put it in the rice, anyway. Even with wrapping, a soft dough can get a slightly flattened side when placed in the fridge or freezer.
Been there, done that.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
The thing is that I don't want to freeze and slice the dough; I just wonder why chilling isn't enough ... o

Phiddlechik

It is enough... as I said earlier, I use a well-chilled dough, not always frozen. Thoroughly chilled so that the butter has time to firm up with the rest of the ingredients.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Even with wrapping, a soft dough can get a slightly flattened side when placed in the fridge or freezer.
Been there, done that.
As I stated earlier.. further forming it into a nice solid roll, then freeze.

There is a method for taking the dough out of the freezer over the course of the day and rolling it on the counter and shaping, THEN popping it back in the freezer until it's just the way you like it... in an almost perfect, solid roll, ready to slice.

For what it's worth Little Moosie, chilling is enough.
Why not just chill your dough and use an ice cream scoop, plop the scoops on the cookie sheet, flatten with the floured end of a drinking glass, then bake? :brows::respect:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
depending on the recipe - putting it in the freezer may have same result as simply refrigerating. that specific recipe may not freeze 'solid' . . .

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I took the lazy man's way out - Monday night, I melted the chocolate and then mixed the other ingredietns right in that pan, then shoved it into the fridge & went to bed. When I got home from work the next day I lit the oven and then spooned out the cookies. Worked great!

Although the recipe says it makes 12 cookies; they DID spread a lot and were quite big. I'd make more, smaller next time.