Butter chicken

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
There are probably as many recipes for butter chicken as there are families in India. We happen to like this one.

Butter Chicken

Serves 4 with basmati rice and/or naan bread (link to recipe follows)

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2-1/4 pounds boneless/skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped (we prefer the thighs)
4.5 oz cashews, salted/roasted
4.5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
2 tsp sweet paprika
12 ounces tomato puree
5 ounces chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream

Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)

Steamed Basmati Rice, to serve

Combine yoghurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chilli, cumin, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Add chicken and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I do it all in a small plastic bag and skip the bowl).

Reserve half the cashews and place remaining cashews in a food processor. Process until finely ground. Leave the remaining cashews whole or coarsely chop for garnish at serving.

Heat the butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Reduce heat to low, then add chicken and marinade, paprika, tomato puree, cashew powder and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream and cook for a further 10 minutes.

Garnish with cashews, chopped coriander and serve with rice and/or naan.

NOTE: Some recipes use cayenne as well for a little heat. Use or not as you wish. I'd suggest starting with 1/4 tsp unless you are a chile head.

Naan recipe

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/naan-indian-oven-baked-flat-bread-recipe-1925574. I added the nigella seeds last time and will do so from now on. They gave it a nice little oniony flavor. Craig came across them in a stall at a very large Farmer's market we go to occasionally that had all kinds of spices, including some we've never heard of. You can also find these at Indian groceries and Amazon carries them fairly cheaply, especially as an add-on item.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yum!

Thanks, Karen!

Here's your photo from the dinner thread.

Lee

Attachments

• butter chicken.jpg
    butter chicken.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 129

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
You're welcome and the chicken is chopped into bite-sized pieces since I forgot to mention that. Oh, and remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf before serving.