CHOCOLATE-CHERRY BARBECUE SAUCE

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
BOY, THIS SOUNDS GOOD - - WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER TO TRY IT AND REPORT BACK ??:whistling:

CHOCOLATE-CHERRY BARBECUE SAUCE

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 cups canned pitted Bing cherries, drained
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure chili powder (not a blend)
1 1/2 cups Port wine
1/2 cup sherry vinegar
1/2 cup honey or more to taste
4 teaspoons ketchup
2 teaspoons fresh lemon or more to taste
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 canned chipotle chilies or 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon course salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and cherries and cook unti the onion is soft but not brown, 3 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce, uncovered, until reduced to about 2 cups, 15 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Correct the seasoning, adding salt, lemon juice, or honey; the sauce should be a little sweet, a little sour, and very flavorful. Use right away or transfer to a large jar, cover, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several weeks. Makes 2 cups.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll give it a try if I can find canned Bing cherries.

Do they recommend a particular type of meat to use it on, Lucky? I'd guess chicken or ribs, and am leaning towards chicken.

Lee

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I'm surprised they don't use a stick blender to chop up the cherries. It's not going to baste well on food still cooking, unless they're anticipating it as a final serving sauce....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhh, brisket! Hmmph. Well, brisket flats are on sale this week for Passover, so I might pick one up.

I like the idea of chopping up most of the cherries, Unconun! Maybe saving some whole for presentation.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, yeah, Phiddle - or even domestic turkey!

And while we are talking about pork loin and chops, those too!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My experience with canned cherries, little as it is, is that they tend to get mushy when cooked.........matter of fact, there's not a lot of firmness there straight from the can even................

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Where am I looking for them, Lucky? In the canned fruit section or the pie filling section?

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I always find them in the canned fruits.............

........I just bought a 6-pound brisket, so it looks like we'll have two opinions........

Brisketbefore002.jpg

I'll use the Coffee Brisket Rub I posted yesterday, so it will be an iron chef entry, if I get to it this weekend !

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
well, going to plan b........ I put together the coffee-cardamon rub, and didn't like the look or taste of it........so I'm gonna marinate this brisket over night in a BBQ sauce........

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I found the canned bing cherries in the canned fruit aisle.

People on my BBQ forum also suggested pork loin, duck (yeah!) and pork steaks (which I have in the freezer).

I'm definitely going to try this sauce!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky, did you ever get to try the Chocolate-Cherry Barbecue sauce on your brisket?

I've got all the stuff for it, except the brisket, and wondered how you liked it.

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
no maa'm........

but I did apply it to two very fragile duck breasts, and found it too sweet for my palate.......... you should attempt it, tho' as I am not a "sweet Meat" person.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Really? Me, either! I'm glad you told me, Lucky!

I will find something else to do with my can of Bing cherries!

Thanks for the heads up!

Lee