Does anyone leave dirty dishes in the sink for long periods?

Shermie

Site Supporter
If so, then doing this can become a breeding ground for germs, bacteria, pathogens and other contaminations to grow!

I always wash up everything in the sink ASAP!

A friend of mine lets his dishes sit in the sink until they start to smell bad & stink!! That's NASTY!! He has no shame in his game!!

Then his stove is also dirty from the last time that he cooks, and the counters are filthy and dirty as well.

I won't eat there or anything that he cooks because of that!!
eek.png

Lefty

Yank
NO, I would kick the wife's butt. j/k I would do dishes as soon as I got home, if they were not done. they should be done once a day.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I wash them after every meal.

I might not be the cleanest when it comes to the kitchen and the bathroom, but I do not let the kitchen stay dirty after a meal!

Unlike my friend (above), I completely detest a dirty kitchen! Sure, it might get dirty during cooking, but before I go to bed at night, it is always looking clean and in order.

About the worst thing to do is to let the dishes pile up after a meal! I have to either get all that stuff clean right then and there, or else face it in the morning.

Hence once of the reasons why I no longer do big extravagant meals any more. It is just too much work for me now and it tires me out! Plus the old back is not what it used to be like years ago.

Too much to cook, too much to clean and too much food to have to put away in the fridge! :wow:

chilefarmer

I keep everything washed up as I cook, when the meal is finished all that needs washing is the flatware. Use paper plates most of the time. CF

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have 3 pet peeves in the kitchen....Dirty dishes in the sink, a dirty microwave and a full/overflowing garbage can. I can't seem to be able to focus on doing anything in the kitchen if any of those 3 things exist.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I hear you, Chiliefarmer & Mama!

Same things here! Only I don't use paper plates.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Once or twice, when I went over to his apartment, I even cleaned up the kitchen for him - washing the dishes, cleaning off the stove as well as the area under the burners. Then I wiped off the counters for him. I even mopped the floor for him!

When I went back over there, it was right friggen back the same way that it was before I cleaned it!!!!

That guy is just pure-d LAZY & PATHETIC!!!! What is so ironic is that his kitchen is small!! It is not the size of mine, so what is his problem that he won't keep it clean?!!

And the bathroom - that's another sad story! He misses the toilet at mtimes when he urinates, the floor itself is not clean, and it seems that he just doesn't care!!

All he's concerned about is where his next bottle of wine is coming from!! He cares more about drinking wine than anything else!! His whole apartment smells with body odor and urine, simply because he just won't keep himself in check with his personal hygiene!!

And there is nothing in the freezer except a gallon of wine and 2 ice trays. He puts getting and drinking wine before food for the house!! Shame!!!
mad.png

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dirty dishes in the sink are a pet peeve of mine, too!

I often have house guests and they all know to wash whatever they use, or rinse and put them in the dishwasher, immediately after using.

At work, I have a sign over the sink in the kitchen that says, "Dirty dishes left in the sink will be tossed out!", and I do toss them out. There are very few dirty dishes left in the work sink nowadays.

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Like CF, I clean as I cook. I also have all the pots & pans washed as I put the food in serving vessels. After dinner cleanup is a breeze, with me washing and DW drying & putting away. With just the two of us, it just takes a few minutes. A clean stove is another must in our house. It's cleaned daily, usually after dinner dishes are done, and is a pleasure to cook on.

I know some folks suffer from depression, and their house looks like hell because of it. The problem is that the more the mess piles up, the worse they feel. Getting and keeping good housekeeping skills and discipline improves your disposition and self esteem. Sometimes a good friend like Sherm can pull you out of the funk, but until the problems are addressed and dealt with, the mess quickly returns. Very sad...

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, JoeV!

But this guy is just plain pure-d LAZY & ridiculous!! In every sense of the word!

There is absolutely NO excuse whatsoever for the sorry & horrible condition that he keeps his apartment in! He's only 4 years younger than me, so we are both pretty much in the same age group. My place might not win any awards for being the cleanest one on the block, but I DO keep the kitchen, living room and bathroom nice & clean. Those rooms are mainly what your guests see when they come over.

And part of his agreement with the management office is to keep a fresh clean & safe household. They've been over there to his place, and they were none too thrilled about what they found out about!!

He better get his act together!! He already was taken to court twice for non-payment of his rent. I tell you, all that he cares about is how or where his next bottle of wine is coming from! It's a shame!!

He called me yesterday, but I did not answer the phone, because I KNEW what he wanted. He wanted to find out if I could get him another bottle (gallon) of wine! When I saw his name on the caller ID, I did not answer the call.

If this guy would put just as much effort in keeping his apartment clean, keeping himself clean and keeping an adequate supply of food in the house as he does trying to get his next bottle of wine, then he would be far ahead of the game! The intense amount of effort spent by him trying to get more wine to drink, it could be better spent by him realizing the errors of his ways! And he does not eat right anyway.

He only cares more about his supply of wine that he does anything else, and that's no lie at all!! He acts like I a blasted bank, where he can come to all or most of the time to buy him some wine! I'm really tired of it!! He needs to go try to get some help.

It is so embarrassing when he goes out because he carries a cup of wine wherever he goes during the warm weather! No one is ever allowed to drink outdoors!! It is considered to be a mistemeanor. The police can arrest you if they so choose to! He claims that he's smarter then me. No way is he even HALF that smart, because if he were, then he would try to clean up his act!! So sad!! I've seen this many times before with others as well. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It sounds like your friend has alcohol as well as self esteem problems. I don't think I'd be buying him any alcohol either. The last thing a true friend should do is enable an alcoholic. I would encourage him every chance I got to get help though. Alcohol is a very strong addiction and can be very hard to beat. He can do it if he really wants to but he will probably need some help to do it. If he won't get some help, you need to walk away until he agrees to get some help because he will drag you down with him.

Shermie

Site Supporter
It sounds like your friend has alcohol as well as self esteem problems. I don't think I'd be buying him any alcohol either. The last thing a true friend should do is enable an alcoholic. I would encourage him every chance I got to get help though. Alcohol is a very strong addiction and can be very hard to beat. He can do it if he really wants to but he will probably need some help to do it. If he won't get some help, you need to walk away until he agrees to get some help because he will drag you down with him.

I think that you hit the nail right on the head, Mama!!

Low self esteem, no get-up-&-go, pure-d laziness and getting drunk from drinking so much wine are just a few of his problems.

He once told me that he used to go to AA meetings (there's one right in the neighborhood). I told him that I think he should start going back to them. He got mad at me and yelled at me, saying; "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!".

So, since he just flatly refuses to try to go get some help, I'm seriously considering cutting off all ties with him, and that includes anything that would otherwise help him.

And you also right about enabling, as I've done many time with people in the past, including with one of my brothers, whom we've lost in '04! He also was an alcoholic, but he was a functional alcoholic. Nevertheless, it caught up to him and just made things worst for him. Diabetes and alcohol addiction do not mix!

But anyway, my friend has to get it together if he wants to remain close friends with me. Maybe I'll just be a distant one.

Yes, I also drink, but I'm not an alcoholic. I also have diabetes. He was hospitalized about a month ago. Now he's on medicine, as he was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I'd say that he's a walking time bomb now.

I'm the best friend that he has, and at times, he won't even listen to me!! He needs to eat healthier foods as well. The amount of salt that he puts on his food is probably enough to choke a horse!! :ohmy: :eating2:

Leni

I agree with Mama. From your description he is an alcoholic but he has to decide that he wants help. The worst thing that you can do is buy wine for him. You may very well have to walk away from him. That might be the thing that will force him to face reality.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i usually wash dishes while i cook, then thereafter, too. if i'm really tired, they get a soak w/ soap until i wash them.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I agree with Mama. From your description he is an alcoholic but he has to decide that he wants help. The worst thing that you can do is buy wine for him. You may very well have to walk away from him. That might be the thing that will force him to face reality.

You're right, Leni!

I would hate to have to act, sound like or be a jerk to him, but it is for his own good!!

But if I stop enabling him, he'll just go to someone else and pester THEM to get him some wine, and that is what's so sad!!

Has he no shame about the way that he keeps is place? When people go over there, and when they come through the door, if they turn left, his kitchen is the first thing that they see, and all that filth is right there in front of them.

My apartment used to be junky, until earlier this year. Since the landlord told me that an inspector was coming to inspect everyone's apartment, including his, I went on a mission to get rid of stuff that I didn't want any more.

The total amount of large bags of trash that I through out were close to 35 bags of trash!! Junk from the living room, closets, kitchen and back room!!

I just got so trired of living with all that junk! I used to be a pack rat! Also, watching those TV shows about horders collecting & keeping junk and pets to the point where you can't see the floor is so disgusting and gross!! Now I can't stand filth at all! It grosses me out so bad!!

But there were never any dirty dishes left in the sink. Not even when I went to bed at night! :clap:

Embryodad

OMG.... I hate a messy kitchen.

My Kitchen pet peeves:

Dishes left in the sink and especially not filled with soapy water
Forks and spoons etc. with food stuck to them, and not soaking in soapy water
Dishes thrown in the dishwasher with the opening up, and un rinsed dishes and silverware.
More than One dish towel thrown in a lump. I only use one towel, and soon as done, I drape it on the stove oven handlebar nice and square and neat. I hate when it gets throw all crooked and folded over itself so it doesn't dry. I hate two towels on the towel bar too.
I hate butter left out on the counter all melted. Or Milk sitting on the counter all warm.
And my worst peeve... is when the sponge (scrubby ) is just thrown in the sink, and if it is soaking in and floating in a greasy pot...that Pisses Me The Heck Off!

If the dishwasher has just a few dishes...they get washed every night, and they get put away.
The kitchen towel (s) get thrown in the laundry, and I hate when they are washed with fabric softener. They won't wipe water with that smelly softener added to the rinse cycle. I wash my own underwear and bath towels without that darn fabric ( Downy I think it's called). And I use Hot Only Water!

There is a lot more too numerous to mention.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I love Downy Fabric Softener, especially the Mountain Spring fragrance!! It adds fresh softness to everything!! :eating2:

CharlieD

I don't know. With us it is hit or miss. Depends on how much home work there is, how late my wife brings kids home, I come home around 7 or 8 at night, a lot of times too exhausted to do anything, she is too, tired. She needs to help 3 kids with homework, if I did not make dinner on the weekend, it is the only time I have, to do it, then she needs to come up with something quickly. I know those are all excuses but sometimes we do not do dishes, so sometimes dishes do seat in the sink for a day or two. Not everybody is able to be a super woman. The earliest she can physically get home is 4:45 after picking kids up from school, kids need to go to bed no later than 8, maybe 8:30 and even then they are too tired in the morning. During the summer when kids were away in the sleep-over camp and it was only two of us the house was extra clean, no dishes, no mess. With kids it gets too busy.

Embryodad

The DW made Moussaka today, and she scrubbed all the counters with clorox wipes and fried eggpland and potatoes, and she cleaned up everything. I commended her for doing such a great Job and not leaving ***t all over for me to clean up.
I do help as much as I can because she is disabled with her right hand and arm, and I don't mind cleaning up IF IF the stuff is rinsed off, and not left in the sink all dry and crusted.

Shermie

Site Supporter
AN UPDATE ON THIS INDIVIDUAL;

Well, some MORE sad news has surfaced about this guy.

1. He's now once again homeless!! He lost his apartment, mainly because he did not keep his rent current. He was always behind on it & he had to go to court 3 times! The 3rd time was the straw that broke the camel's back! The management office of the same housing development that I'M trying to get into has refused any more money from him. They wanted him out and they were very successful with evicting him!

2. The rehab program which he once belonged to had offered to pay his back rent, but couldn't because the management office and its lawyers had refused to accept any more money from him. Again, they wanted him to be thrown out.

3. He was always acting like he was homeless, and now, he does not have to ACT like he's homeless, because he IS homeless!

4. I let him stay at my place for one night. Now he's been blowing up my phone, trying to talk me into letting him spend another night here. In fact, he wants to stay here until he finds another apartment!! I told him nothing doing! He has offered to pay me some money as rent, but knowing full well that he didn't pay his rent where he was at, then why would I want that headache?!!

6. He wants me to ask my landlord if he would allow him to stay (live) here! I'm not doing that either!!

7. I suggested to him last night that he seek a suitable shelter to go to, to try to get into & out of the cold. He's now a homeless drunken bum who associates himself with other drunken homeless bums, so he's being judged by the company that he keeps!!

8. Like you said, if see him on the streets or at the square, I'll just say hi to him and just keep it moving! I can no longer want to be associated with or be a close friend to him, until or unless he straightens up & flies right, and that will more than likely be NEVER!! :ohmy: :sad:

Last edited:

Embryodad

Appears that that guy burned too many bridges behind him.
It's nice to help for a day, but I would avoid that individual like the Plague!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Appears that that guy burned too many bridges behind him.
It's nice to help for a day, but I would avoid that individual like the Plague!

You're absolutely right!!

He has burnt way too many bridges behind him, and he's not giving it so much as even one thought that he might have to try to cross them again someday soon!!

I've washed my hands of him! What is even worst is that he was evicted from his apartment during the bitterly cold days of winter!! If it were summer right now, it might not have been so bad, but I think that he has absolutely no shame, remorse or care that he was made an example of, all because he just wouldn't keep his rent paid and up to date!!

That'll come back to haunt him & kick him in the butt in the future, and no one will want to trust him, as hard as finding an apartment is today!! They'll take one look at his past and then he'll be shown the door through which he came in!! :yuk: :sad:

Last edited:

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
The older I get the more fussy I am. I just cannot stand a dirty kitchen. As soon as I get to my daughter's house to help with her little ones I get started in the kitchen. She is a cook, but not yet as fussy as her mother :?) Counters are a pet peeve of mine as well as dishes left in the sink ...Clean as I go is my motto as others have said. Sorry about your friend, he needs help

Shermie

Site Supporter
One of my worst pet peeves is stickiness on the countertop or table, usually left behind by sugar, syrup or honey, and it isn't cleaned up within a specified time, and I end up putting my hands or arms in it, I go through the roof!!!

For example, just a week ago Saturday, I went to a theater with a friend to see Ice Cube & Kevin Hart's new movie Ride Along.

So we get there get the tickets give them to the ticket collector and go to the theater to see the movie. But the area where we, or at least I wanted to sit, some jerk had spilled soda on the floor, and there's this huge puddle of it and the surrounding area was so freaking sticky as hell!!!

I totally flipped out and lost it!!!! "I'm not sitting there and have to put my feet in that stuff!!!"; I told the friend!!!!! I was livid and wanted to just go STRANGLE the ones responsible for that!!! I had to sit in the isle seat where it was clean & sticky-free!!

I do not like anything stepping or walking on sticky floors either!!! :shitHitsFan::mad: :mad:

Leni

Right now I have vertigo and am having a hard time with it. I don't like having dirty dishes in the sink but I have had to get used to it. Disabled daughter does good if she puts all of the food away. DH rinses everything but I have to deal with it in the morning. We do with what we have.

Leni

One of my worst pet peeves is stickiness on the countertop or table, usually left behind by sugar, syrup or honey, and it isn't cleaned up within a specified time, and I end up putting my hands or arms in it, I go through the roof!!!

For example, just a week ago Saturday, I went to a theater with a friend to see Ice Cube & Kevin Hart's new movie Ride Along.

So we get there get the tickets give them to the ticket collector and go to the theater to see the movie. But the area where we, or at least I wanted to sit, some jerk had spilled soda on the floor, and there's this huge puddle of it and the surrounding area was so freaking sticky as hell!!!

I totally flipped out and lost it!!!! "I'm not sitting there and have to put my feet in that stuff!!!"; I told the friend!!!!! I was livid and wanted to just go STRANGLE the ones responsible for that!!! I had to sit in the isle seat where it was clean & sticky-free!!

I do not like anything stepping or walking on sticky floors either!!! :shitHitsFan::mad: :mad:
Shermie, sometimes you just need to go with the flow. I don't like the idea either and would not sit where the soda was. I'd have let the theater people know and I'm sure that they would be happy to clean it up.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Shermie, sometimes you just need to go with the flow. I don't like the idea either and would not sit where the soda was. I'd have let the theater people know and I'm sure that they would be happy to clean it up.

My friend wanted to sit there, because he didn't want to move to another row of seats where the floor is dry. But where I sat, the floor was nice & dry. Actually, the soda felt like it was turning back to syrup - an indication that it was there way too long!

But yeah, I should have let one of the employees know about that, and the next time that I encounter a ridiculously gross problem like that, you can bet for sure that I'll say something to someone!

A theater, like all other places, should be clean, dry and sticky-free. After all, customers are paying top dollar to see a movie that they want to see. :ohmy: :eating2:

I won't stand for it.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I also don't like a dirty bathroom. I visited a friend once whose bathroom didn't sparkle and I was disgusted by that.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Sorry Leni, get better and don't worry about dirty dishes during this time. You are right on We do with what we have..

Embryodad

My mother in law (Rest her soul) Hated...I mean HATED Sugar spills on the floor.
hahaha... For spite, I would sprinkle a little on the floor.
She would get so nervous and start to sweat so bad. Then she would be on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor with a scrub brush and a bucket.

And all the while she would be mumbling under her breath! Y%^&*^O*%I^&.

Soda on the floor in the movies?? Not as bad as pee pee on the floor.
When we were kids, we would be squirming and holding it in, but the movie was too great to go up to the rest room. We would just stealthly just pee on the floor.
When I think of it today, I cringe at how we were such little snot nosed """stards!