Stuffed Green Peppers

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Does anyone have any ideas of what to stuff green peppers with besides hamburger & rice??? :huh:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
My guess... Just about anything... Decked out stuffing, Decked out Spaghetti or Goulash. The immagination can go a long ways. :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I use mild Italian sausage, enhanced with some bread crumbs, egg, milk, fresh ground pepper, Worchestershire, and a little dijon mustard...I don't measure. You can also stuff them with a mess of seasoned seasonal veggies topped with mozzarella cheese for a meatless meal.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made some lasagna stuffed peppers that turned out really well a while back.

lasagna-stuffed-peppers-0.jpg

There was a recent thread re stuffed peppers here:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19786&highlight=peppers

Here are the Lasagna stuffed peppers:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245611&postcount=6

Greek Stuffed Peppers
4 servings

• 4 yellow, orange and/or red bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat orzo
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 6 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed), chopped
  • 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
  3. Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste with a fork, leaving some whole.
  4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute. Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/greek_orzo_stuffed_peppers.html

Last edited:

Leni

I use hamburger, onion, bread crumbs or oat meal, some of the bell pepper, tomato sauce and top with cheddar cheese.

Leni

How about mexican style? Ground meat with Ortega diced green chilis, cumin, oregano, tomato, and topped with cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack.

Guts

rickismom

You could use any color pepper you like with this dish. I prefer red. This recipe is from the Progresso recipe book.

[FONT=&quot]SAUSAGE and LENTIL STUFFED PEPPERS[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

6 Medium red bell peppers
1 Pound bulk Italian sausage (I like sweet hot Italian sausage)
½ Cup chopped onion
1 Can (10 1/2 ounces) PROGRESSO lentil soup
1 Cup cooked rice
¾ Cup PROGRESSO Italian style bread crumbs, divided usage
2 Tablespoons PROGRESSO grated parmesan cheese, divided usage
3 Tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 f.
2. Fill large saucepan half-full with water; bring to boil. Cut peppers lengthwise; and remove seeds. Place peppers in water. Boils 3 minutes; and drain.
3. In large skillet, brown sausage and onion; drain. Stir in soup, rice, ½ cup bread crumbs and 1-tablespoon parmesan cheese.
4. Fill peppers with sausage mixture; place in large shallow baking dish. Cover with foil.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove foil.
In small bowl, combine butter, remaining 1/4- cup bread crumbs and remaining 1- tablespoon parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over peppers. Bake uncovered 5 minutes[/FONT]​

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
rickismom

You could use any color pepper you like with this dish. I prefer red. This recipe is from the Progresso recipe book.

[FONT=&quot]SAUSAGE and LENTIL STUFFED PEPPERS[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

6 Medium red bell peppers
1 Pound bulk Italian sausage (I like sweet hot Italian sausage)
½ Cup chopped onion
1 Can (10 1/2 ounces) PROGRESSO lentil soup
1 Cup cooked rice
¾ Cup PROGRESSO Italian style bread crumbs, divided usage
2 Tablespoons PROGRESSO grated parmesan cheese, divided usage
3 Tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 f.
2. Fill large saucepan half-full with water; bring to boil. Cut peppers lengthwise; and remove seeds. Place peppers in water. Boils 3 minutes; and drain.
3. In large skillet, brown sausage and onion; drain. Stir in soup, rice, ½ cup bread crumbs and 1-tablespoon parmesan cheese.
4. Fill peppers with sausage mixture; place in large shallow baking dish. Cover with foil.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove foil.
In small bowl, combine butter, remaining 1/4- cup bread crumbs and remaining 1- tablespoon parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over peppers. Bake uncovered 5 minutes[/FONT]​

Another great recipe! Thank you!! :encore:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How about a stuffing mixture that you would stuff a turkey with?

I like a sage sausage-bread-celery-onion stuffing, but you could use a cornbread stuffing, or oyster stuffing (yuck) or whatever stuffing/dressing you love on Thanksgiving!

Lee

Guts

Another great recipe! Thank you!! :encore:

thank you! here's a picture of the ingredients I used and a picture of the Bell pepper, cut in half with some oven baked eggplant in the forefront.

Attachments

• Stuffed Bell Peppers +Oven Fryed Eggplant 004.jpg
    Stuffed Bell Peppers +Oven Fryed Eggplant 004.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,355
  • Stuffed Bell Peppers +Oven Fryed Eggplant 028.jpg
    Stuffed Bell Peppers +Oven Fryed Eggplant 028.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,349

Johnny West

I had a big bowl of sloppy joes left, added cooked Mahatma instant rice, extra catchup, stuffed into par boiled green peppers, and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. These went into the crock pot, on high, and hope they are done by dinner time. If not I'll finish them off in the microwave.

Johnny West

Does anyone have any ideas of what to stuff green peppers with besides hamburger & rice??? :huh:

I had three sweet red peppers left over from my salsa making ordeal so yesterday made stuffed peppers using leftover gluten free pasta with our home canned marinara, cooked down cherry tomatoes from our garden, brown rice, and home ground pork breakfast sausage. We topped it with fresh ground manchenko cheese - I added hot sauce at the table. It was all good and got rid of some things stacking up on the counter.

Attachments

• ####Peppers I.jpg
    ####Peppers I.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • ####Peppers II.jpg
    ####Peppers II.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,067

Johnny West

Peppers are cheap right now and have been loving the stuffed peppers. Yesterday afternoon I made these using the all recipes recipe and found them to be somewhat bland but after adjusting salt and hot sauce, at the table, were not bad. I was out of shredded mozzarella or would have added that to the mix. It took over three hour to make these!

Attachments

• #####Peppers I.jpg
    #####Peppers I.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,047
  • #####Peppers II.jpg
    #####Peppers II.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • #####Peppers III.jpg
    #####Peppers III.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,035

Dogboa

Love stuffed poblano, chili rellenos and stuffed red, yellow and orange bells. Not really a fan of stuffed green bells.