My Garden

Saliha

Training went well, it was only one week now and after few weeks it continous to the end of the year. Now I have one week vacation - a time for cleaning the garden, for cooking and of course - knitting. Right now I am knitting woolly hats.

Saliha

Today I visited in the heaven... I mean in the garden market.

:mrgreen:

IPmAffK.jpg

Beans, peas, pumpkins, tomatoes, lettuces...

jLvPMre.jpg

T5xA2cg.jpg

GnNV9rU.jpg

Something I have tried already and also something is new like lemon cucumber, "tigerella" tomato and ramsons. Now I just have to wait that the spring starts here...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My father is pushing me to try to grow snap peas this year for the first time. For his sake, I'll give them a whirl.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
A room with a view..
Looking out my bedroom window.
We've got lots of plans this year.
Ducks for the pond, veg garden.. I want herbs.
Probably near the kids play set.
With all the deer and wildlife..we'd have to watch the garden 24/7!

Attachments

• 20180306_114642.jpg
    20180306_114642.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 240

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
wildlife will reduce a garden to nubs virtually overnight. we had cats and a dog, as they dwindled it got to the point last two years I got next to nothing - the rabbits and groundhog enjoyed the garden.

stuff fresh out of the garden is always good - if you like lima beans try a batch - fresh off the vine limas are a whole different bean. peas of course, two other crops that are amazing different fresh out of the ground carrots and potatoes.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Oh we love lima beans, peas, carrots and potatoes!
The fella down the road does sweet corn and sells it roadside we hear...when the time comes.

As far as the fuzzy 4 footed varmints, hopefully all the hawks and bald eagles will take care of them...:bb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had to surround half of my container plants with chicken wire for the last 3 years, to protect them from rabbits, squirrels and woodchucks.

Very annoying, but effective.

Here's my cat, Blue, near a couple of my yellow wax bean plants. The year before, my bean plants were all chewed down to the soil.

Further on down the plank, towards the top of the photo, are 4 of my tomato plants behind wire.

Lee

Attachments

• Blue, summer 2017.JPG
    Blue, summer 2017.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful, Saliha!

I have a mini orchid that has bloomed a couple of times, but after the last bloom, I cut off the spent stem. I've since read that they rebloom on the old stems.

The plant is healthy and new leaves have formed. Do you think there is hope of it growing a new flowering stem, or have I ruined it forever?

Lee

Saliha

No, I don´t think it´s ruined at all. Mine too, the old stem became so dry so I cut it but it raised new one.

Saliha

My garden is ready for the new growing season:

zWtIe8m.jpg

Bleeding hearts have a lot of flowers at this year:

a4N9ksz.jpg

White strawberry has flowers too:

mkvz4sY.jpg

And what´s the best - so green in everywhere:

5aET3V6.jpg

:in_love:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Outside this a.m.
Lol

It wasn't gobbling, it was "clicking".
Then ran like hell.

Attachments

• 20180517_085323.jpg
    20180517_085323.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 179

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Magnificent! Do they have a scent, Saliha?

I just finished planting my container garden yesterday. What a feeling of accomplishment!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Wild rhubarb.
Everywhere.
Including under the granddaughters play set.
It's going crazy.
My DIL says it's burdockk.
Isn't that the same thing?

Attachments

• 20180604_110341.jpg
    20180604_110341.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 234

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Other patch looks like this.

Attachments

• 20180604_113647-384x384.jpg
    20180604_113647-384x384.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Screenshot_20180604-112135.png
    Screenshot_20180604-112135.png
    808.5 KB · Views: 236

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
burdock is often called wild rhubarb - but it is not the same plant nor ancestor / genus of the stuff we cultivate as rhubarb. parts of burdock are edible / used in herbal medicines - but note that some people react to burdock compounds....

had to go dig out the latin names....
"Common burdock belongs to the Composite or Aster Family (Compositae).
Other names for Common burdock are Burs, Wild burdock, petite bardane, Clotbur, Lesser burdock, rhubarbe sauvage and toques.

The edible rhubarb plant, however, belongs to a group of plants of the genus Rheum in the plant family Polygonaceae."

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh now then..
Thanks Professor lol
Either way, the patch under the kids swings and slide is coming out. The other looks ornamental as long as it doesn't take over the stone path.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
and a very late start on peas this year - one volunteer squash of some kind . . .

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 223

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have some of those spiral stakes, too, Chowder, but I pretty much buy the bush varieties of tomatoes for my containers and the stakes are not as effective for me as the wire cages.

What varieties of tomatoes do you grow?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
what's not in the pix - the spirals I tie together at the top with a cable tie to make a tripod. they don't work well as a stand-alone stake. these are steel spirals, flash galvanized, I bought in 1986 - my daughter has her dibs on them. 30 years and counting,,,, not too bad.

for containers probably not needed

I usually do an heirloom type beefsteak plus 1 or 2 hybrids. Better Boy/Girl, SuperSonics, etc. depends on what the local farm store brings in.

do you have the heavy duty cages? I use those for peppers.
here's the tripod deal, the yellow is the heavy duty tomato cage with a green pepper...

Attachments

• tripod.jpg
    tripod.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 217

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Brandywine! Man, I spent all morning trying to think of that tomato variety that has been touted as the "best-tasting tomato ever grown"!

I tried it once, but even a 5-gallon container is too small for it, and it only bore a few fruits. Good, but not worth it.

No, Chowder, I only have the cheap metal cages. I grow some tomatoes against a chain-link fence, so I can tie the cage to the fence if the plant is too heavy. I grow others in a circle of chicken wire on my patio, so again, I can tie the cages to each other if I need to brace them.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Brandywine requires deep cool roots - "normal" temps are tough with containers, when you get a picky plant . . . when I had the greenhouse I'd start them from seed and let them get real leggy - then bury 12-18" of stem about 12" deep horizontally. that made tomatoes by the wheelbarrow full.

I've got lots of gardening info/tidbits if you need anything.