Ratatouille Terrine

lesley

I made this at the weekend to go with cold roast chicken

RatatouilleTerrinewith-chicke.jpg

It tasted gorgeous, you could have it as a starter or as a buffet dish & it can be made a couple of days ahead.

RatatouilleTerrine-split1.jpg

RatatouilleTerrine2.jpg

Serves 6-8 Appetizer/Side
Prep Time 25 mins
Ingredients

* 3 Large bell peppers, red, orange and yellow, deseeded and roasted
* 1 Large aubergine (eggplant)
* 2 Large courgettes (zucchini)
* 4 Tbsp Olive oil
* Rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 15 fl oz Passata
* 2 Tbsp Gelatine

Method

* Heat the grill/broiler
* Cut the peppers into quarters, lengthways this makes it easier to remove the skin once you've charred them. Take out the stalks and deseed
* Push the peppers down firmly on the grill rack to ensure all the skin is exposed to the heat, grill on high until the skins are black
* Set aside until cool, then peel off the black skin
* Or you can put the peppers straight into a plastic bag, seal and leave for 15 minutes to sweat, then peel, your choice
* Lay a sheet of aluminium foil on the rack
* Slice the courgettes lengthwise, about 1/4″ thick
* Lay on the foil and baste with 2 Tbsp olive oil, both sides and season
* Grill until golden, 3 minutes each side
* Set aside
* Slice the aubergine lengthways, and repeat the procedure
* Grease a 9”x5”x2 ½’’ loaf tin, then lay clingfilm (plastic wrap) against the bottom and side with extra hanging out from the sides.
* Put the Passata in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatine over the top. Dissolve while stirring over low heat. Do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
* Put a layer of roasted peppers down in the prepared loaf pan. Spread 2 tablespoons of passata/gelatine mixture on top. Place a layer of courgette/zucchini on top with another 2 tablespoons of passata/gelatine. Place a layer of eggplant on top and more passata/gelatine. Continue layering until you finish the vegetables.
* Any remaining passata/gelatine mixture pour over the top, and give a gently shake to the tin, just to make sure the passata is dispersed evenly
* Cover up with the plastic wrap. Refrigerate to set, at least 4 hours

Cook's tips

* Can be made a day or two in advance

Equipment

* Small saucepan
* 9”x5”x2 ½” deep, loaf tin
* Clingfilm

Shopping List

* 3 Large bell peppers, red orange and yellow
* 1 Large aubergine (eggplant)
* 2 Large courgettes (zucchini)
* 4 Tbsp Olive oil
* Rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 15 fl oz Passata
* 2 Tbsp Gelatine

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lesley, I had to look up "passata". They said you can use tomato paste as a substitute. I wonder if the paste is thicker, though.

I'd like to try that terrine!

Lee

lesley

Lesley, I had to look up "passata". They said you can use tomato paste as a substitute. I wonder if the paste is thicker, though.

I'd like to try that terrine!

Lee
Hi qsis,
I used a good passata, ...Don't use tomato paste (like the one in the tube) I think that would be too strong, as it's a concentrate.

Take a tin of tomatoes, chopped or whole & blitz them, make sure you have the right amount of fl oz....use that, the geletine will hold it together :thumb:

lesley

My pleasure CC :wink:

ps I have friends who don't like eggplants so I used mushrooms instead, it still came out okay

Last edited: