Ramen Noodles with Poached Eggs and Parsley

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
http://cbsop.com/recipes/ramen-noodles-with-poached-eggs-and-parsley/

I subscribed to this guys blog because I find his recipes very interesting!

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 10:29 AM PDT

My wife and I aren’t really in to “normal” breakfast foods. It’s rare that you’ll find scrambled eggs and toast featured as a breakfast item. (It’s a perfect late night dinner though.) We’re also not likely to start the day with anything sweet. Pastry and doughnuts are the very last thing I want to see first thing in the morning, if ever. I’m just not a serious sweets-eater. So what does a family that eschews the standard breakfast offerings head for to stave off morning hunger?
Ramen and eggs, of course.
You see, around here instant ramen noodles are just another pantry ingredient. They are a go-to for the kids, a quick substitute for other types of pasta and we honestly just enjoy them. They can be used for a huge number of different dishes and are ready in minutes. They can’t be beat for convenience and ease of preparation and they make a great, filling dish for any meal of the day.
The yolks and freshly cracked black pepper are the key to this dish. While I generally discard the flavor packet that comes with the noodles I find that in this case it adds a little something to the flavor and pairs well with the egg yolks, which turn this amazingly simple recipe into something sumptuous when broken into the broth. Seriously, just look at it…

ramen-with-eggs-yolk-broken.jpg

The joy of the recipe is really that you just poach the eggs with the noodles, so it’s one pan cooking. There’s no need to add vinegar to keep the eggs together because the noodles hold them together wile they’re cooking. The whites also change the texture and flavor of the cooking liquid and coat some of the noodles, which does a lot texturally. Just be gentle with them and they’ll be good to you.
The best part about this is that it’s entirely freeform. Add anything you love as you go and you still end up with something delicious. If you love spicy, use Ramyun noodles instead of ramen or some sriracha for intense heat and spiciness. ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VQD4Z6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cbsop-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B000VQD4Z6"]Ramyun[/ame]
ir
noodles are the spicy Korean equivalent to Ramen and can be found all over the country now.) If you want bolder flavors, drizzle in a bit of hoisin sauce or some oyster sauce. The choice is yours, this is a truly timid version of something that I make in about a hundred different variations, but it’s my wife’s favorite. The only thing I would avoid adding is sesame oil, as it clashes with the eggs in my opinion.
What do you do with Ramen noodles? Do you have a favorite hack? Let us know! And as always, until next time…
Share and Enjoy!

Recipe: Ramen Noodles with Poached Eggs and Parsley
Summary: A super simple dish that’s simply delicious as well
Ingredients:

• 1 package Ramen or Ramyun noodles
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
  • Soy Sauce and black pepper to taste

Method:

1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flavor packet from noodles and stir to combine well. Add noodles and boil for 1 1/2 minutes or until the noodles have softened and break apart when stirred.
  2. Reduce heat to a bare simmer (The setting will vary depending on your cooktop.) Gently add eggs to the pot, being careful not to break the yolks. Allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, or until whites are set.
  3. Carefully transfer noodles and eggs to a serving bowl using a slotted spoon or skimmer. Add 1/4 cup of the liquid, soy sauce and parsley. Grind black pepper over the top of the noodles and serve immediately.

Preparation time: 1 minute(s)
Cooking time: 6 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1

What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
This is actually one of my wife’s favorite meals, so there’s little or nothing that I would change about this dish. It’s pretty much perfect just the way it is.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:bounce:I need my Ramen noodle fix! I always put an egg (like eggdrop soup), but I've never done it like this. It sure looks good, so I'll try this method next time.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Cooksie and Lee.
Figured you'd both like it.
I'm going to try it too.
I've already used ramen for eggdrop soup, so this has got to be awesome.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, baby! This is the BEST Saturday night dinner, after a long day at work!

Only thing I did differently from the recipe posted was add one sliced green onion.

Easy, delicious and FILLING!

Thanks again, Sass!

Lee

Attachments

• Ramen noodles and eggs.JPG
    Ramen noodles and eggs.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 578
:bounce:I need my Ramen noodle fix! I always put an egg (like eggdrop soup), but I've never done it like this. It sure looks good, so I'll try this method next time.

I'm another one who sometimes makes a cross between Eggdrop & Ramen Noodle soup. If I poach eggs, they have to be poached to the hockey-puck stage - can't tolerate undercooked eggs.

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Oh my. That looks and sounds amazing! I so love ramen noodles, but the salt content is a bit much for my high BP these days. Poaching the egg inside the broth and noodles is genius. :applause: Lee did a great job on his too! :clap:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm so glad you bumped this up Squirrel! I was just sitting here wondering what I was going to have for lunch!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What a wonderful lunch! Thanks Sass for posting it....Lee for making it look sooooo good.....and Squirrel for bumping it! :clap:

Attachments

• ramen-noodles-and-eggs.jpg
    ramen-noodles-and-eggs.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 623

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful close-up, Mama!

I had forgotten about this dish, so I'm glad it reappeared!

Lee

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
I can't stop coming here and looking at Mama's picture. It's just beautiful. A few months ago I was researching how to make ramen from scratch, but abandoned it when I couldn't find a product called kansui. It's a special water that goes in the noodles. Anywho, after this lovely thread resurfaced I did another search and found it! Woohoo! I can't imagine being able to make this from scratch, but I'm gonna give it a go!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you Squirrel!

I found this on another forum if it helps:

Kansui in liquid form is available in Chinese markets under the Koon Chun brand. It comes in a clear glass bottle labeled "potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution"

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Yep, that's it Mama. I looked at the two Asian markets in Augusta and neither had it. I found a market online and bought a big jug of it. It is supposed to make the noodles firmer from what I can tell. The noodles in the packets have a different consistency from say, vermicelli and I'm guessing that's what is making the difference.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
What a wonderful lunch! Thanks Sass for posting it....Lee for making it look sooooo good.....and Squirrel for bumping it! :clap:
:wow::heart:
haha.. now I've got to make this again and post a picture next time.

Glad you liked it Mama!
Who'da thunk something so simple and easy to prepare would be so delicious,eh? ;)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bumping up after Sass's photo in a dinner post.

Lee