Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
serves 2
1 dozen brussels sprouts
8 large radishes
salted water
salt and pepper

Trim the stem edge of the sprouts; trim top and bottom edges of radishes.
In a large saucepan, Bring salted water to a boil. immerse the radishes and sprouts.
Cook 10 - 14 minutes, or until the sprouts are done and the radishes begin to lose their color.
Drain, return to saucepan. Add butter or margarine. gently mix the veggies with the melting butter.
Move to a serving dish, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

dinner004.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Do the radishes lose their bite when cooked?

Well, now that you mention it...... they do lose something in the cooking, but they absorb something else................Radishes are one of the few vegetables that fit my diet, (South Beach) that I can still stand to eat every other day...... so I've been experimenting with them in different venues; Turnips and radishes, both parslied, and "mashed"...... (guess the right word would be "crushed") saute'ed radishes with garlic and pepper, then buttered............. boiled radishes served cold on a bed of baby lettuce with drizzles of balsamic ............... man, I could go on and on............
so many manifestations.. so little time....................

I just came home from my Korean market, where they have the BEST radishes........(pic)
I saw a gal choosing something called a "Korean radish"- I was forward , and asked her what they were like......She said they are more like a red radish than a horseradish, and had many uses, but primarily for Kim Chi ---- I'm gonna have to buy one, for the lab...........

dinner001-1.jpg

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky,
Your ready to publish your own cook book. the photography is great.
Anyhow- I am curious how This recipe is going to taste. I am on my way to the store now.
Thanks LT

lilylove

Thanks LT. I might just have to try this some day. I'm really wondering what a cooked radish is like. :)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
LT, I bought some radishes and brussels sprouts on the way home from work this evening.
I'll be trying it tomorrow and let you know what I think, pics included. :)

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
LT, I bought some radishes and brussels sprouts on the way home from work this evening.
I'll be trying it tomorrow and let you know what I think, pics included. :)

I'm going to try it tonight as well and shock DW. I know she'll be showing me the finger down the throat thing but I'm betting they're gonna be good.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ok, I tried the sprouts and radishes.
Had Mother over for dinner and she loves the combination as well. :D
Sorry LT, no pics, completely forgot to do that bit.
The radishes tasted similar to turnips to me, lots of butter, salt and pepper too.
We have a winning combination!!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I wonder how it would be with chopped parsley and garlic melted butter and toss it all together.

Andy C

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
To borrow a catchphrase from my favorite sitcom department store owner,
"You've all done Very Well!"

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
DW gave me the funny look I was expecting. We were amazed how the basic radish flavor disappeared. Next time we'll experiment with various herbs.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
UPDATE !!!

Lately, I've taken to replacing the water with chicken broth........ gives an added dimention to the dish !!

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky- I made this again tonight- With the Chicken Broth.
I didn't toss the broth. I think we might be on to something brand new here.
"Radish Soup"
Experiment time!
The broth picked up the bite from the radish!~
Tasty.

002-1.jpg

Last edited:

High Cheese

Saucier
Hey LT, I love both radish and brussels sprouts, I'm gonna try roasting them together instead of boiled. Ever had roasted radish? If I have some I throw them in with the chicken and veggies.

pugger

I have a thanksgiving recipe collection & have made the lemon glazed brussel sprouts w/ radish & shallots a few times. I think the radishes taste like hot grapes when you cook them like this, very good.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Had these last night - thought it's time to bump it up for those who weren't around seven years ago..............
:cooking:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm so glad you bumped it up, Lucky!

I was around 7 years ago, but missed this.

I love them both!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Great pic !
...... and I can tell by the remaining color on the radishes that they are perfection !

:a1:

The original recipe should have shown the butter bit ..... I do it every time, but somehow left it out of the recipe .....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made these again tonight, but steamed them this time.

15 minutes.

Perfect! Kept their colors and shapes better and very tender and delicious!

Lee

Attachments

• Radishes and brussels sprouts, steamed.JPG
    Radishes and brussels sprouts, steamed.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 3 Salt and vinegar chicken plated.JPG
    3 Salt and vinegar chicken plated.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 130