What are you doing today?

Johnny West

The church work is almost like a full time job. I can't seem to catch up - now am taking bids on roof cleaning and it's a PITA.

Not much planned for today - can feel it in my hips from yesterday. :neutral:

lilylove

It's just another day in Paradise.
:)
Time in the sun and then dinner with friends. We're going to go see a country band tonight. Seafood and country music. All is right with the world.

Johnny West

I'm looking at a trip to Chicago after March 1. costa Rica would be better.

I'm shoveling snow and making soup for the church soup kitchen.
It used to be one could hire a kid to shovel but there are none in
the area.

Johnny West

Took the soup in today, handed out a few bowls myself and it was well liked.
I'm done shoveling snow - the rest will melt in place.

Embryodad

Went to the eye Dr for post op cataract visit. All looks good he said. No retinal problems.
Yeah? .... Yet, I say!!

Just thin sliced some breast o chicken. Mommy wants breaded chix chix tonight for supper.

Johnny West

This morning I'm subbing grade 3 for a guy that is a great teacher.
It's only a half day and have no plans for the afternoon.
I'll stop by church and see if there are any work orders in
my box. Tonight is leftovers and soup. That is all.

Last edited:

Saliha

More and more socks:

5t6ZLBF.jpg

Johnny West

This morning I'll go to church to provide moral support while several guys nail
up a soffit that came down with the last snow storm. The gutter is shot and will have to bid that out.

Dinner is vegetarian chow mien and white rice.

On the way to get Amelia, yesterday, had some bad luck and blew a tire (road damage) in the Fusion - a fairly new Michelin. Of course the Les Schwab (long story) I was able to get to didn't have them in stock so got their better tire to replace. It's always something and messed up my afternoon with my granddaughter.

Dogboa

Getting ready to start on our "do ahead meals" for the coming week. Lasagna and meatball sliders. We make one pan of lasagna for next week and one for the freezer. I mix up the meatball mixture and let it sit in the fridge until Monday or tomorrow, haven't decided yet. We are trying geoduck for the first time. One of the local Asian markets gets live ones in weekly.

Johnny West

Welcome aboard Dogboa.

I've had geoduck several times but never impressed. I'd rather have fried razor clams or littleneck for chowder. Geoduck was to tough and chewy.

Dogboa

Welcome aboard Dogboa.

I've had geoduck several times but never impressed. I'd rather have fried razor clams or littleneck for chowder. Geoduck was to tough and chewy.

Was it a raw preparation like sashimi or cooked? We are using the siphon for sashimi and the belly is going to be coated in panko and fried.

Dogboa

A buddy of mine from from Northern Cali gave me an 8# red abalone. I might make a chowder (white) with some of it and use the rest as a sub in my conch fritter recipe. I've made abalone fritters before and they were great. I would use some in a conch salad, but my wife isn't fond of it.

Johnny West

Just got this from my friend, Sandy, up on the North Island. I love it up there and show what diversified area we all live. One time my wife and I were staying at a hotel in Port Hardy and woman a block way was attacked by a cat in her car port. Sandy's retired foreman friend had his face torn off my a cougar but manage to cut the cat's throat in a tooth and nail fight to the death.

"Yesterday morning the cat woke me about 6.00am to let her out side and I went back to bed for a bit. A half hour later as I was getting up we heard a noise outside the trailer like something big banging against the skirting which went on for two or three seconds. Couldn't identify it but I jokingly said to Doreen that something big was chasing Precious around.
She didn't come back inside when we got up which is unusual but does happen occasionally but when she didn't show up by mid afternoon I was suspecting something was up.
Then I read a post in the Port Alice classifieds on Facebook that a cougar had been sighted in town during the afternoon and I realized my comment to Doreen had actually been on the mark. Still no sign of her this morning so We suspect we have seen the last of her.
Her brother Frodo disappeared about four years ago under same kind of circumstances. Tough area on outdoor pets as several neighbours have had cats and dogs taken by cougars over the years."

Johnny West

Yesterday he had to leave for Campbell River but before he left he called the conservation people about the cougar and they asked to put a baited trap in his backyard. His neighbors said they'd watch it to alert the authorities if it gets caught. He's had bears trapped in his back yard and have seen his videos. The traps are on wheels and big affairs. Because the animals loose their fear of humans they are destroyed. Parents have to be outside with the kids if they want to play outside. So sad but there are so many it's just the way it is.

This morning I went to church and shimmed up a bookcase and anchored it to he wall in the vicar's office. That is all.

Johnny West

I'm off to the store. On this morning's news they said there will be a shortage of Italian olive oil this year due to bad weather and beetle infestations. I better hoard up a couple bottles of our favorite evoo. I just passed up a big can of Spanish olive oil at the Spanish Table in Seattle and now wish I'd of gotten it.

Johnny West

I got a 750 ml of our favorite Greek olive oil. It's already expensive but very good.

We are having a wintery mix of snow and slushy ice pellets this morning but will get into the 40's for the afternoon. I'm meeting one of my teacher friends at Appleby's for lunch at noon. I've not seen him for several years. He has work horses and need to my granddaughter out to his ranch to see them. He raises his own hay that the horses help harvest so they work for their own food. He also does plowing for neighbors.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Wishing I had steady work. I telecommute for work and it's just been hit and miss this week. Holidays (President's Day Monday) just suck the life out of my work. My paycheck is going to be in the pits this week.

Embryodad

Just went on a survey, as I wheeled in the trash container from the curb. I started to see 7 items that need my attention ( stuff to be done ), and I came inside, changed the poopy litter in the two pans for the kitties, and then to meditate and block those 7 work items out of mind.

I say,"Don't do today, that which can be done tomorrow!" hahahahaha

Johnny West

I subbed grade 10 and 11 English today and it was nice to see some students I've known since grade 3. After getting home called a plumber about a toilet issue at church and he said he'd meet there in an hour and got that taken care of. Tomorrow will have to go back and restart the tankless water heater. It's always something.

Embryodad

Today, I played Automotive Mechanic on the Over 200,000 mile car.
The cooling fan ate through the radiator, and destroyed it. Anti-freeze all over the place.
Somebody??? must have hit one of those curb stops at one of the stores, and it crushed the support and radiator into the fan. Nobody remembers doing anything like that! Hmmmm???
It was a balmy 68 degrees today, and now it is dropping to 32 tonight.
I just finished making my Yeast Raised Waffle Batter.

My Baby Turned 39 Yesterday, and she asked for a breakfast party for the celebration. Mommy picked up cup cakes from the bakery. DD didn't want a cake. Ha!

Only task left for me, is to fry 3 lbs. of bacon. We will have eggs too, but that will be a tomorrow task! We set a 10:00 am time to eat.
( I will be in charge of the waffle station!)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Packed a batch of caraway seed sauerkraut, and got a new batch started with caraway seeds and grated carrots. I forgot how good homemade sauerkraut is, and how good it is for your digestive tract. Cold packed and refrigerated this batch...no hot water bath which kills a lot of the good bacteria. I've had this last a year in the fridge when I forgot it was way in the back of the outside fridge, and still as good as when it was made.

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

The cap plate (plastic cutting board cut into a circle in the band saw) is held down with 3# of spent pellets from my pellet gun trap in the basement. This was a lot cheaper than the ceramic weights they want $21 for in the catalogs.

Embryodad

Joe! Looks great! I can smell it all the war from here! LOL...

I still have the 3/4 inch oak round wood, and the special stone in my crock.

Johnny West

My last venture into kraut making was a disaster and it rotted. I'll have to try the cold pack method. I add caraway seeds, as well as apple, when on the hob.

Saliha

Socks, socks and even more socks. These are my 15th socks at this year:

P6wCTX0.jpg

And next ones are on the needles already. Family and friends will get many soft packets at the next Christmas.