Soaking rice for the rice cooker

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I decide my dinners usually a few days in advance and when I leave in the AM, set up my rice cooker with the rice and water, then when i come home, I can just turn it on and it cooks while I change and get the rest of the dinner ready.

Usually.

Sometimes I decide I want rice after I get home, and there's no way that the rice can absorb the amount of water it does when it soaks during the day.

Does anyone have some insight on this ?

Wasabi

My rice cooker's inner pot comes with measurements on the side of the pot. Another trick my grandmother taught me is to (pardon my french) stick your middle finger just to the top of the washed rice and fill the water to the first line of that finger. I know it seems odd, but it works. We eat rice every day and our brand of choice is Hinode.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I don't soak mine either. My cooker has a measuring cup for the rice, and graduations in the bowl for the water.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
If I soak the rice, I can put about 1/3 cup more water in the rice and have it absorbed.

I'm wondering if that's important ...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
When making it on the stove I generally use about a 2 part liquid to 1 part rice though some rice types might require a bit less such as liquid/rice 1.5/1 for example. Common rices purchase in the US are usually about 2 to 1. My rice cooker also has a measuring device so I really don't know with it. I made it most of my life in a sauce pot on the stove with good results most of the time.

Last edited:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I know that my my rice cooker has so many settings and options that it can be very confusing. You would be surprised just how much art and science goes into that silly little grain, or maybe not considering how much is eaten around the world.

From the species of rice, to how it's milled, to whether or not you wash it, to how it's cooked, to how hard your water is, etc., etc. There are so many variables, that not one answer will give you "perfect" rice. And if you change one thing, you could end up with a totally different result. Believe me, I've screwed up many times before I got my cooker working the way I want. My advice is to search the internet and/or get a rice cooker cookbook, and experiment. That's the only way to really get rice that's perfect for you.

I got this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558322035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243781791&sr=8-1"]cook book[/ame], and it's good, but even with it I have to make adjustments. Do you have the manual for the cooker? I would start out by following that instructions to a tee, and then experiment out from there.