Favorite coffee or small coffee roastery

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
We talked about our favorite doughnuts, so what kind of coffee do you prefer?

Locally, I have a friend who owns a coffeeshop and roastery business that is both a retail and wholesale operation. He has many stores. I have mentioned it before: It is the Phoenix Coffeehouse and Roastery. See http://www.phoenixcoffee.com/shop/buy-coffee-online.asp?id=1&cat=Fresh+Roasted+Coffee

Carl Jones is so persnickety about coffee--he cares about every part of the process and when the beans get too old, he tosses them and refuses to sell subpar coffee. If a pot is too old, out it gets tossed. He is a master roaster and I met him through our mutual friend, Andy (of blessed memory). I loved to hear that he even sends coffee to Italy.

I love their Blue Moon blend but during the holidays I buy kona or even Jamaican blue mountain for an extra special treat. I need to drink a low acid coffee for my stomach but I want a full flavored one--so Blue Moon blend it is. Carl has clever local names for many of his own blends. His favorite is the one he named after himself and which he loves to drink.

Ok, so now you know where I like to hang and what I drink at home--what is your favorite coffee or coffee shop?

Do you buy green beans and roast them yourself? Do you prefer a dark roast?

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I get dunkin donuts coffee, but, I can only have decaff right now, so Maxwell house here.
I will get to my Starbuck's again and Vinti White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino, here I come!!!

Wasabi

Our daughter bought us a Keurig coffee maker for our anniversary. It's a single serve maker and you pop in a pod of coffee, tea or cocoa. My favorite coffee pod is Newman's Own Extra bold.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I like to brew Maxwell House, strong.
1 t sugar per cup and a splash of cream, enough to turn it a caramel colour.
Arby's has good coffee too, as well as McD's.
As long as it has caffeine, I'm in.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
I like to brew Maxwell House, strong.
1 t sugar per cup and a splash of cream, enough to turn it a caramel colour.
Arby's has good coffee too, as well as McD's.
As long as it has caffeine, I'm in.

I agree with you about the McD's Coffee!
$.64 Senior Coffee. (Calif) & That is pretty hard to Beat!

images

:harley:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You know, when I'm not drinking my own coffee, I really enjoy BKJoe coffee at Burger King. That stuff is really good!

My favorite place to have coffee is the Candlelight Coffee House. It's very close to my home and it's in an old house. It has a wonderful patio out back where you can drink coffee and enjoy the stars at night. Inside, it's furnished with great old couches and chairs and coffee tables. I've spent many hours there hanging out with friends. If you are ever in San Antonio, it's a wonderful place to visit.
http://www.candlelightsa.com/index.html

smoke king

Banned
Aside from an occasional caramel macchiato from Starbucks, I generally don't frequent coffee shops.

At home I buy whole beans, generally Pears, and grind them as I need them.
As long as we're on the subject of coffee shops, when exactly was it that a 5$ cup of coffee became acceptable?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Aside from an occasional caramel macchiato from Starbucks, I generally don't frequent coffee shops.

As long as we're on the subject of coffee shops, when exactly was it that a 5$ cup of coffee became acceptable?

the same time a $5 pack of smokes became acceptable..lol

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

That's why I don't go to coffee shops. I'm not paying $5 and up for a cup of coffee.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Coffee is one of my greatest vices. I like a huge good cup every morning. I should give it up for gerd reasons but switched to a lower acid coffee instead.

I am not a big fan of starbucks. I like privately owned coffeehouses like the one FM linked to--we use to have something similar in Chagrin Falls but Starbucks came in and the privately owned coffeehouse that was in an old house and was furnished beautifully was forced out of business.

Edited to add: Smoking is a vice a gave up long ago. Coffee is here to stay and so is chocolate!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Coffee is one of my greatest vices. I like a huge good cup every morning. I should give it up for gerd reasons but switched to a lower acid coffee instead.

I am not a big fan of starbucks. I like privately owned coffeehouses like the one FM linked to--we use to have something similar in Chagrin Falls but Starbucks came in and the privately owned coffeehouse that was in an old house and was furnished beautifully was forced out of business.
I know, I've been scared this place might suffer. But luckily, it's one of our city's gay-owned businesses and there are a lot of folks who make sure to frequent them.

Lefty

Yank
I am very fortunate to have a good friend that is a coffee roaster. We have a "club" at work that orders thru me for their coffee. The coffee is incredible. It comes in 5 pound bags in whole bean form. I just picked up 25 pounds today and the beans were warm just coming out of the roaster. My favorites are Sumatra, Mocha Java and Espresso.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I am very fortunate to have a good friend that is a coffee roaster. We have a "club" at work that orders thru me for their coffee. The coffee is incredible. It comes in 5 pound bags in whole bean form. I just picked up 25 pounds today and the beans were warm just coming out of the roaster. My favorites are Sumatra, Mocha Java and Espresso.
Can I join your club, Lefty?

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Yea me too Lefty. I want in that club!
I get 1.75 Lb's, from Costco (Whole Bean) For Around $10.
When I hear Sharon grinding the beans in the morning' That is my
Alarm Clock'
images

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We prefer what we get at our local farmers market. Otherwise Gevalia in the winter when we can't get his.
Always dark Columbian, French roast, dark Somaliann or espresso.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Lefty, I am amazed that you can go through that much coffee. I buy rather small quantities often (a little less than a pound) so that I can have the freshest coffee possible. I don't have a grinder but I am considering getting one.

FM, I hope your local shop is not swallowed up by starbucks. It looked as charming as the one that got shuttered in Chagrin Falls. We have lost two other privately owned coffeeshops--Coffee Adagio at Van Aken which now sells strictly wholesalel through the name Crooked River and Caffè Pronto in Mayfield Heights which also got shuttered. Starbucks claimed two great places and the third was an unscrupulous landlord that really wanted the space for a restaurant. In the end, the restaurant also failed. I had befriended all three owners and were saddened to lose those places. I love to hang at coffeehouses--it was where I met Andy (my friend of Blessed memory).

Deelady

When I do get it out (which isn't very often) I like Coffee Bean Or Starbucks Caramel Machiato
At home I often buy Ghiridellis Chocolate Caramel, or Folgers in different flavors. I like it on the sweet side! :)

Every blue moon I'll find a coffee that is good enough to not need much cream or sugar but I have yet to find one like that I can brew at home :(