What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saliha

Gingerbread cookies:

QXfBSj9.jpg

gingerbsmiley.gif

Johnny West

Yesterday was molasses crinkles, snow balls, gum drop cookies, and Hershey Kiss cookies. I mostly did clean up and fixed dinner. This morning it's scones and then this afternoon we are having a tea for family. There is still a lot to do. :blob_blue:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I've made chocolate chip, peanut butter, chocolate macadamia white chocolate chip and cream cheese and jelly thumbprint cookies. One batch of each.

Saliha

Leftover pie after the Christmas:

AUhru3g.jpg

Ham, chanterelle flavored cream cheese, veggies and a lot of cheese on the top.

Saliha

This I made at the yesterday for the New Year´s Day:

R75pFHm.jpg

Sponge cake, filled with strawberry jam, strawberry quark and vanilla-bilberry quark. On the top a lot of whipped cream.

Happy New Year to all!

:flowers:

Johnny West

I made the two different kinds of bars and am looking at making some Meyer Lemon Snicker Doodles. Maybe next week... also have to make two or three banana breads for the church soup kitchen. :bonk:

Saliha

This is traditional Finnish apple pie.

I use sweet bun dough, then roll out it and place it to baking tray, I lay out apple slices on it, sprinkle sugar (about 2 tablespoon, it depends how sweet or sour apples I use) and cinnamon on it. I leave it to wait for 15 minutes (to raise the dough) and lubricate the edges of the pie with egg. Bake +200 C/392 F about half hour.

Dough is same like this: http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/15_6.htm

Here is same pie before baking:

FRmXFMw.jpg

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I saw a recipe for a combo flan/chocolate cake the other day in 1 of our cookbooks when I was flipping through it. Told Dogboa it looked really good but would take forever for the 2 of us to eat it. Flan is one of his fav desserts. The recipe was similar to http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-flan-cake-48401 , but instead of the jarred caramel sauce, it used a second can of condensed milk that had been boiled (in water in the can) until it turned to caramel.

Reason I posted is it might be fun to make with your GD, as it basically flips upside down while cooking in that the flan part ends up on the top and the cake on the bottom once it is cooked and flipped out of the bundt pan. I know my oldest GD who is interested in cooking would find that fun and cool.

Johnny West

Shrove Tuesday buns, filled with strawberry jam and whipped cream:

w3NAMO4.jpg

That looks so good.

I'll do pancakes tonight and save the lamb shanks for next week. Our church had so much going on last Sunday that the pancake breakfast was eliminated.

I'm subbing Friday so will have to save cake baking for Saturday. My granddaughter is only 4 and her help is in the measuring although she's getting good at cracking eggs.

The flan looks like something I'd like to try on a night where a Spanish dinner is planned. I'll want to do a paella soon and that would be a perfect dessert.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
No-Kneed bread made with whey (from strained homemade yogurt) in place of water.

no_kneed_whey_bread_P1100005.JPG

no_kneed_whey_bread_sliced_P1100012.JPG

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
nice! loaf. thou shalt not lend me your ear, I'll take the whole slice!

did you use a cover over the freeform for the initial bake?

one of my fav uses for whey is pancakes/waffles - bit tangy and a super rise (cut back on the baking powder....) from the higher acidity.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
nice! loaf. thou shalt not lend me your ear, I'll take the whole slice!

did you use a cover over the freeform for the initial bake?

one of my fav uses for whey is pancakes/waffles - bit tangy and a super rise (cut back on the baking powder....) from the higher acidity.

Thank you.

I followed the recipe except for replacing the water with whey. Baked in Dutch oven covered for 30 minutes then uncovered for 7 minutes. This was a first time. I think it turned out good.

I haven't tried whey in anything else yet.

So replace equal amount whey for milk or water in pancakes/waffles (I usually use milk) and cut back on baking powder by how much?

Have you used whey in biscuits?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those strawberry buns and bread look spectacular, ladies!

YUM!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I use all the whey 'on hand' and make up any volume lack with milk - it's usually +/- 75% whey.

I cut back the baking powder to 60% of normal. it's not real critical but it's most noticeable in making waffles - the squeeze out from the iron . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.