Ladle in Chili

img0498ut.jpg

Top with onions, cheese, sour cream, or whatever you like

img0499ob.jpg

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Double Chili Cheeseburger

Cook two beef patties. Toast a hamburger bun, and spread mustard generously on both halves. Place one patty on each half of bun. Smother with chili. Top with onions and cheese, serve open faced.

img0500kp.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I haven't been in on one for awhile but I think I'm in on this one.

Everyones Chili looks awesome! I was hoping to get in on this one by making Chili this weekend but due to an abscess tooth, I can't even think about making Chili. I can't get in to the dentist until monday but he called me in a prescription for antibiotics and pain pills so at least I won't be hurting until then. As soon as I'm up to eating it, I'll make some and post the recipe...it will be a little late, but better late than never!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Everyones Chili looks awesome! I was hoping to get in on this one by making Chili this weekend but due to an abscess tooth, I can't even think about making Chili. I can't get in to the dentist until monday but he called me in a prescription for antibiotics and pain pills so at least I won't be hurting until then. As soon as I'm up to eating it, I'll make some and post the recipe...it will be a little late, but better late than never!

Damn Mama, I'm sorry to hear that, but at least they called in the antibiotics and pain meds. The antibiotics should surpress it and make it more tolerable, and the pains meds will make the walls worth petting. :yum:

If the meds don't kick in fast enough, I find a shot or two of Jack or Tequila fits the bill nicely.

Hang in there, and I hope it gets better soon!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin and FM. He called in a script for 500mg hydrocodone yesterday afternoon so I'm doing fine now...sleeping a lot but feeling fine.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Deconstructed chili made with short ribs which were braised in beer, and all the traditional ingredients served on the side....fire roasted red and jalepeno peppers, tomatoes (kumato, a beautiful brown tomato) and cheddar cheese. Usually served over rice, here the rice (timbale) served in the center. Recaito leaves on top

January2010057.jpg
January2010056.jpg

January2010055.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your tooth, Mama-- but glad you got a jumpstart on getting it taken care of with the meds.

Like you, my entry will come late as I haven't taken the time to prepare anything, but will make the chili sauce meatball chili tomorrow as planned.

Everything looks fabulous.

Last edited:
I'm planning on making my version of a chicken "White Chili" tonight. Even though this is the last day, can I still contribute?

vyapti

One of the problems I've had with with meatless chili is that the beans become overwhelming . . . and friends and coworkers won't visit me for a couple of days. So I combined all the tricks I know to make beans more digestible for this massive batch of chili. I boiled the beans in two stages and rinsed them in between, used fennel and asafoetida to temper the beans and added lots of celery and onion for flavor and texture. Then I simmered everything low and slow with a couple cups of bulgur. This chili has a small amount of afterburn, but it's not a hot chili and I just love the textures and flavors.

Ancho & Chipotle Chili:

Okay, just getting under the wire here - lol!! Made this favorite tonight. It's more of a "comfort food" type chili than a "blow the top of your head off type", but we enjoy it just the same. Plus, you can easily "heat it up" to personal taste. Will try to post a pic. Hope it works, techno-idiot that I am - lol! Please note that I specifically plated it with the toppings to one side just to show that it's a "white" chili.

URL=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/breezywhitechili.jpg/]
breezywhitechili.jpg
[/URL]

Breezy White Chili

Serves 2 (with leftovers) to 3, but recipe can easily be doubled & then some!

1 can Great Northern White Beans or Cannellini (white kidney beans), undrained
A couple of splashes of chicken broth (I use Swanson’s in the carton)
1 package (about a pound or so) boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-size pieces)
1 small onion of choice - chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
Approx. 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Approx. 1 tablespoon ground coriander
Approx. 1 tablespoon mild to medium chili powder
Approx. 1 tablespoon dry oregano
1 small can (4 oz.) chopped green chilis
1-4 fresh Jalapeno pepperd, seeded & chopped
Ground Cayenne pepper to taste (optional, depending on how much heat you like)
Approx. a 16 oz. cup of sour cream
Approx. 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
Dollop or 2 of extra-virgin olive oil
Fresh Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, to taste
Romaine lettuce, roughly chopped, to taste
Crushed white tortilla chips, to taste

In a large skillet heat a couple of dollops of olive oil & sauté the onion & Jalapeno pepper until softened but not browned. Add garlic & chicken & continue sautéing until chicken is cooked thru. Add a couple of splashes of chicken broth, beans, canned chilis, cumin, coriander, chili powder, & cayenne (if using). Stir, lower heat, & allow to simmer until mixture is just about at the thickness you like (some folks like their chili thin; some thick). Stir in sour cream & chopped Cilantro & heat thru (don’t allow to boil).

Place some of the grated cheese in the bottom of each chili serving bowl & spoon hot chili over. Top with more cheese, run into the oven until cheese is melted, then pull & top with the chopped Romaine lettuce, crushed tortilla chips, & serve.

Deelady

Ooooooh that sound so good Breezy! Very different than I've ever had!!

I can't believe I didn't think to make a white chili!! This whole time I've been pouting cause I can't have tomatoes right now!!!:bonk:DUH!

:a1: