NCT's Iron Chef 16: Battle Quesadillas

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Magnificent! I'll be joining you either tonight or tomorrow! Oh, how I love a quesadilla!

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm making mine tomorrow, so i'll have pics sunday night.

so far, i've narrowed it down to these since i have all of the ingredients on hand:
the nyc quesadilla - grilled corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss
the cross chicken - grilled chicken breast and american cheese
the irishman - cheddar, raw onion, hot mustard
the eye-talian - tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella, balsamic v
the down easter - lobster, baby redskins, corn, white cheese sauce

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Queso Flameado Con Chorizo Quesadillas
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=130966#post130966

5xqyig.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Here's mine:

It took some thinking to get a quesadilla to hold together with out any sort of binder, but these worked out pretty well. They even kept together when I dipped them in a bowl of nacho sauce. Is it still a quesadilla if it doesn't have cheese?

Black Bean & Spinach Quesadillas:

Matt, those look so good!!
Yes, I still check out your blog from time to time.
Excellent veggie quesadillas!!!
Karma on the way!

buckytom

Grill Master
yay for me. i'm finally going to get an entry in.

i was only able to get 1 quesadilla (technically a sinchronizada) done today, the reuben, but it was good.

lots of pics, from start to finish.

i trimmed a beautiful piece of corned beef, readying it for the grill. it was a little past expiration, but since it was in a brine, i wasn't worried. it smelled fine, and the brine was still fresh, not tart or fizzy. because of the long time in the brine, the flavor was intense.

img3520h.jpg

then, onto the grill

img3522.jpg

the ingredients for the q: corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, tortillas.

img3598ptq.jpg

a closeup of the meat. man, this stuff is orgasmic.

img3599z.jpg

building the quesadilla. tortilla, swiss, meat, mustard.

img3604.jpg

then sauerkraut. (yeah, from a can. it looks ugly, but it tastes good.)

img3606i.jpg

another layer of cheese

img3609.jpg

add another tortilla, and fry it in a dry pan on both sides

img3617.jpg

e voila'! the nyc quesadilla, or a ruben q.

img3621p.jpg

img3625k.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
A reuben quesadilla?
Does the delicious insanity never end?
My God Tom, that is just.......
Well...... it's different!
Looks good, I want one!

buckytom

Grill Master
sure thing, homey and sass. there's a lot of meat left over. the corned beef doesn't seem to shrink as much when you grill it as opposed to boiling.

my boy made his without sauerkraut and he used honey mustard, and you know, his was better. the meat and cheese were salty enough without the sauerkraut, and the honey mustard added a little sweetness that was lacking because i didn't have 1000 island dressing.

lemme go wake him up and tell him to get to work in the kitchen. he starts kindergarten this week. time he started pulling his weight... lol.

e.t.a.: i had all of the ingredients ready to go for the margherita quesadilla tonight, but we ended up getting take out for dinner. i'll make this tomorrow:

img3636q.jpg

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
nope, no ruskie, either.

we had italian, blue cheese, and ranch - all store bought, of course. i wouldn't know where to begin to make 1k island or russian dressing from scratch.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
i wouldn't know where to begin to make russian dressing from scratch.

1/4 c sugar
3T water
1/2 c ketchup
squeeze a lemon
1 T vinegar
salt
1/4 t paprika
1 1/4 t celery seed
1 T worcestershire
3 T minced onion

Cook sugar and water, cool.
Mix the rest and add to water and sugar. Blend and chill.
Makes a lot.

Now ya do. :wink:

vyapti

sure thing, homey and sass. there's a lot of meat left over. the corned beef doesn't seem to shrink as much when you grill it as opposed to boiling.

my boy made his without sauerkraut and he used honey mustard, and you know, his was better. the meat and cheese were salty enough without the sauerkraut, and the honey mustard added a little sweetness that was lacking because i didn't have 1000 island dressing.

lemme go wake him up and tell him to get to work in the kitchen. he starts kindergarten this week. time he started pulling his weight... lol.

Maybe using braised cabbage would have worked as an alternative. I started putting it on french dips and it makes for a delicious and and wonderfully messy sandwich. It seems a shame to not use cabbage with corned beef.

e.t.a.: i had all of the ingredients ready to go for the margherita quesadilla tonight, but we ended up getting take out for dinner. i'll make this tomorrow:
I bet those would have been good.

buckytom

Grill Master
great idea about the cabbage. thanks vy!!! :chef:

ok, i was able to get 1 more done yesterday. the margherita q.

it was a good idea executed poorly. it ended up being a soggy mess on the bottom from to many moist ingredients. by the time the cheese melted, the tomatoes were giving up their rmoisture as well and made the bottom a mess. but, they were still edible.

img3636q.jpg

img3659z.jpg

img3661.jpg