So I grilled cheese. Not a sandwich, I grilled cheese.

GrillinFool

So, I was at this gourmet market over the holidays looking for some wine and cheese for dinner. I saw that they had Haloumi cheese which is touted as the cheese you can grill. I did it. Didn't like it. It was chalky and bitter. I hear that if I marinate it next time in some flavored olive oil it will be better, but haven't gotten back to it yet.

Well, I mention this to the cheese monger and she recommended I try Brun-Uusto cheese and she rushes off to go grill some up for me. I didn't want to stick around that long, but she was going through the trouble, so I did. So glad I did. It was fantastic. She said she fried it up in a pan with a little oil, but it can go on the grill. Well, it just so happened that I was smoking some pork tenderloin for a coworker who was having his folks in over New Years, so I bought a block. It was even better grilled as it picked up the smoky flavor as well. It was also a learning experience. I cut the block in half. The first half I did I cooked at too high a heat. I came within a biscuit of melting it through the grates and into the coals. The second time was perfect. I documented both sessions in this post. I'm not perfect. I screw up on the grill all the time...

So, here's the step by step on what I did and here are the pictures that hopefully make you hungry:

BUGC1.jpg

BUGC4.jpg

BUGC11.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks interesting...

we have fried cheese every time we go to Miami. Fried as in fried in a frying pan... They use queso fresco i believe because it doesnt melt, it just softens and doesnt string

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It looks fantastic, GF!

Did you like it? Would you do it again?

Lee