Net Cooking Talk

Net Cooking Talk (http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer / TV's / Electronic Devices Forum (http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   got Ransom? (http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27921)

ChowderMan 05-15-2017 07:11 PM

got Ransom?

I guess the liberal left snowflakes have been so well educated with the Common Core requirements they are brain dead.

mega-screams about infected computers, mega-mega-screams about people who paid the ransom but did not get their magic key. . . .

let's do some math:

reported by the MSM numbnuts: 200,000 computers locked up.
if it takes 30 seconds for the bad guy to confirm payment, look up the key, and email the key, that's = 200,000 * 30 = 6,000,000 seconds = 100,000 minutes = 1666.66666666666 hours =
69.44444444444444444 days.
if they don't sleep, eat or do anything else.

how many 'bad guys' involved? perhaps 3 . . . ?
no, there's not a gang of hundreds involved - somebody would blab.....

keep your data backed up on an external hard drive that you physically disconnect. keep a current image of the operating system.

do not set your computer to "automatically update" - do than manually like once a month and never install any update or patch that has not been released for at least a month.

I've never been hit by this sort of thing. actually the number 1 source of problems in my world has been screwed up Microsoft "patches" - they have caused me hours and hours and days and days of computer trouble shooting and rebuilding grief. viri and malware, not so much.

Doc 05-15-2017 08:43 PM

Re: got Ransom?

I'll 2nd all your advice. It's not IF you will get hit with a virus, maiware, ransomware or drive failure ...but when. one of those will happen to us all. you never know when. Back up your stuff if you care about it. I do it with external hard drives. Easy peezy. I do not trust the online backup options. Then I'm giving my stuff to a stranger. 99% are probably okay but I'm paranoid and know how to take care of it myself. JMHO.

Adillo303 05-15-2017 09:41 PM

Me three

bigjim 05-16-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChowderMan (Post 309356)
I guess the liberal left snowflakes have been so well educated with the Common Core requirements they are brain dead.

mega-screams about infected computers, mega-mega-screams about people who paid the ransom but did not get their magic key. . . .

let's do some math:

reported by the MSM numbnuts: 200,000 computers locked up.
if it takes 30 seconds for the bad guy to confirm payment, look up the key, and email the key, that's = 200,000 * 30 = 6,000,000 seconds = 100,000 minutes = 1666.66666666666 hours =
69.44444444444444444 days.
if they don't sleep, eat or do anything else.

how many 'bad guys' involved? perhaps 3 . . . ?
no, there's not a gang of hundreds involved - somebody would blab.....

keep your data backed up on an external hard drive that you physically disconnect. keep a current image of the operating system.

do not set your computer to "automatically update" - do than manually like once a month and never install any update or patch that has not been released for at least a month.

I've never been hit by this sort of thing. actually the number 1 source of problems in my world has been screwed up Microsoft "patches" - they have caused me hours and hours and days and days of computer trouble shooting and rebuilding grief. viri and malware, not so much.

I never install a patch or update from any site for a month or so. Sometimes never.

All too often the update involves something favorable to the site, not you.

ChowderMan 05-16-2017 05:02 PM

the downside to terrabyte size hard drives - takes way too many DVD's to back up..... the external hard disks are now required reality, sigh.

the other day I tripped over some dumbaxx screeching about how critical is it is install the patch for some Microsoft program vulnerability - I think it was MSWord but I've forgotten. after a long rant and citing the "bug number" etc, the dumbnut did not mention which of the upteenthousand MS KBxxxxxxx patches is 'the fix' - with technical prowess like that the dude better never go into the jungle - there are things there with much more deadly prowess than his.....

perhaps we can get Congress to pass a law prohibiting Microsoft from selling any new operating system until they've figured out how to debug the last one....

jim_slagle 05-16-2017 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installing a few updates . . . :whistling:

Adillo303 05-16-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

with technical prowess like that the dude better never go into the jungle - there are things there with much more deadly prowess than his.....
Love it! Thank you for making my day.