Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
TNT would be nice.

Photos would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Lee

Guts

Re: ISO Fish Taco recipes

I'm sorry Labor Day don't have any pictures because they usually got devoured before I had time to take any LOL. These are very close to the fish tacos I used to get in Ensenada. As far as the salsa goes they really didn't use A chunky style salsa just a red or green chile salsa not a pico de gallo style salsa. One of the key things is to use a dead beer for the batter. I'll post the recipe for Rubio's fish tacos and I will also post the beer batter recipe under that. now you could use grilled fish but I always used a Pacific cod or something with a white flaky texture. I also have to say you have to have the white sauce with a fish taco and never flour tortillas always corn tortillas.
Rubio's Fish Tacos also you must use cabbage no lettuce.. but you can use lemon instead of lime if you prefer

Ingredients

(6 servings)

12 Cod or favorite whitefish fillets (1-1/2 oz ea.)
12 Tortillas, corn, as thick/fresh as possible

BEER BATTER:
1 c Flour
1 c Beer
Garlic powder, pepper to taste

WHITE SAUCE:
1/2 c Mayonnaise (Best Foods)
1/2 c Yogurt

SALSA:
1 Garlic clove, peeled and minced
6 Tomatoes, ripe, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 Onion, minced
2 tb Cilantro leaves, chopped, stems removed
2 Jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
Oil for deep frying

GARNISH:
1 Head cabbage, green, shredded
1 Lime, cut into wedges

DIRECTIONS
Mix flour with favorite spices such as garlic powder, red or black ground pepper. Stir the flour mixture into the beer and mix until well blended. Wash fish by dipping in cold, lightly salted water or water with a little bit of lemon juice added. Be sure fish is completely dry before dipping into batter.
Prepare salsa; reserve.
Put the vegetable oil into a deep skillet and bring to 375F. Place fish in a single layer--do not let pieces touch each other. Cook fish until batter is crispy and golden brown.
Heat corn tortillas lightly in a skillet until they are soft and hot.
To assemble, on each tortilla layer the fish fillet, white sauce, salsa and cabbage. Top it off with a squeeze of lime. Fold tortilla over to serve.

Bob s beer batter​

1 cup of flour 280g
2 tablespoons cornstarch 40g
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder 10g
2/3 of a 12 ounce can of dead beer/ note; 16 oz
1 teaspoon of salt 16g
1/4 teaspoon of accent/MSG 3g

buckytom

Grill Master

i like the recipe, guts. copied and saved. good idea about yogurt in the white sauce.

we make them on the healthier and thereby simpler side in an attempt to get my boy to eat more fish, especially that isn't fried.

we've used salmon, tuna, poo-fish (tilapia), and trout.

my fave has been tuna. dw buys sushi grade tuna and salmon for this so we can have it cooked rare. unfortunately, she like salmon cooked well done so her's is kind of a waste, imo.

the fish simply grilled (grill pan, actually), then it's put on a soft, multi-grain tortilla with arrugula, spinach, pico de gallo or salsa, and low fat sour cream that's been mixed with garlic chives from the herb garden.

sides are non-fat refried beans and brown mexican rice.

K

Kimchee

Tilapia or other fish filet

MARINADE:
1/2 Pale Ale
Hot Shot Pepper
Garlic Clove, minced
Dry Onion
Dry Garlic
Chili Powder
Cumin
1/2 Chipotle pepper in Adobe sauce, chopped
1/8 Cup Lime Juice

Combine, let sit few hours. Marinate fish for 1/2 hour or so.

Oil fish basket or grill grates. Grill fish on high heat, 2 minutes on first side. Flip, grill till done.. flaky and/or just opaque.

Remove from grill, slice, make tacos.

TACO SECRET SAUCE 1

Avocado
Green salsa
Jalapeno slices
Cilantro, fresh (strong flavor, use sparingly at first)

Combine guacamole, green salsa, japaleno to taste & Cilantro.
Blend till smoothish.

TOPPINGS:
Shredded cabbage... toss with 1 TBSP Cider Vinegar and salt first.
Green onions, sliced
Secret Sauce
Chopped Tomatoes
Cheddar Cheese

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Wow! What great responses!! Thank you!

I've only made them once before, more like BT's.

I cannot find good corn tortillas, so I've used flour. The corn tortillas I've tried have been thick and break when I try to fold them. I heard steaming them first helps.

Great posts, folks!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Okay, I finally made the fish tacos yesterday.

I made Gut's pico de gallo (salsa), SilverSage's vodka tempura (SPECTACULAR!!), the cabbage (I bought a bag of cole slaw) and I changed up the white sauce a bit.

This time, I found some pretty good small, thin corn tortillas that I heated in foil in a 200 degree oven and used 2 tortillas per sandwich.

A SUCCESS!!!

I have to tell you, I will never use another batter for fried fish! My friend in Arizona, Dylan, made the recipe and he was blown away by it, too! And I rushed some over to my neighbor, Kathy, while the fish was still hot and crispy, and SHE wolfed it down right then and there! LOL!

SS's tempura recipe (she got it from America's Test Kitchen) makes a ton, but it's worth it!

Gut's Salsa

SALSA:
1 Garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 large Tomato, ripe, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 red Onion, minced
2 tb Cilantro leaves, chopped, stems removed
2 Jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
squeeze of lime juice

Dylan's White Sauce

1/2 cup Hellman's mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
sprinkle of cumin
1/2 teas chopped fresh dill
squeeze of lime juice
capers (optional)

SilverSage's Tempura recipe (from ATK)

Here's the tempura batter I use. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I got it from America's Test Kitchen on PBS. It's the best I've ever had.

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and all the wet in another. Don't combine them until right before you're ready to dip your food.

Dry:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Wet:
1 cup vodka
1 egg
1 cup seltzer

Fry very hot 385-400.

Fried cod, draining

Fish tacos 1 - fried  fish.JPG

With garnishes on top

Fish tacos 2 - topped fish.JPG

Perfect hand-size sandwich!

Fish tacos 3 - folded taco.JPG

With garnishes on the bottom, better to see fish

Fish tacos 5 - toppings on bottom.JPG

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Fantastic! Now you've got me craving fish tacos.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter

I will chime in later when I have more time to get a recipe out, but, Baja style fish tacos are one of my death Row meals. . . I love em!!

Looks good folks!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Tonight's fish tacos were with Dylan's white sauce, frozen beer-battered cod, homemade pico de gaillo, shredded cabbage and diced avocado.

I had TWO of them! (I added more white sauce and more pico to the second one). :thumb:

Lee

Attachments

• Fish taco.JPG
    Fish taco.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 217

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Lookin' good! I'm going to have to try the frozen beer-battered cod. I can't stand the Gorton's breaded fish filets/fish sticks (they look gray to me :() , but those look really good.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Lookin' good! I'm going to have to try the frozen beer-battered cod. I can't stand the Gorton's breaded fish filets/fish sticks (they look gray to me :() , but those look really good.

Cooksie, I think I like Van de Kamp's better, but these weren't bad.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I found some frozen beer-battered cod that I love. It's Real Beer-Battered Cod (that's all it says on the front) from Sam's. If you cook it convection on a rack, it truly is crispy.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I have never done fish taco's. I live a deprived life. They just never sounded good to me. Then I finally, just today, took a gander at this thread. Dang, sure looks like I've been missing out. :bonk: :bonk: Good stuff guys!!!!!!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Cooksie, tonight I tried my frozen Pub Beer-Battered Cod in my convection toaster oven directly on the rack instead of in the tray.

Much more crispy! Thanks for the tip! Excellent!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

More notes about experimenting with fish tacos.

1) Flounder is not the ideal fish for this. It's too thin and all the toppings I like overwhelmed the flavor of the fish (but it was on sale, so next time, I might double up)

2) Savoy cabbage is not as crunchy as regular cabbage (but they had a small piece of savoy in the grocery store, so I went for it)

3) Flour tortillas are great!

4) Beer batter with self-rising flour is very good, but SilverSage's tempura is better (but I didn't have any seltzer).

Lee

Attachments

• Flounder fish tacos.JPG
    Flounder fish tacos.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 165

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Now you've got to try grilled fish tacos, Q-Sis :readytoeat:.

I have never done fish taco's. I live a deprived life. They just never sounded good to me. Then I finally, just today, took a gander at this thread. Dang, sure looks like I've been missing out. :bonk: :bonk: Good stuff guys!!!!!!!!!

They don't sound very good, Doc. Just try them, and I'll bet you'll change your mind.