There just aren't any good cajun places around here..

Ronjohn

Around the house, that is. There used to be one, but it was a pretty poorly set up place and from the news we heard they had landlord issues right from the start (they only ever had a temporary Cert. of Occupancy from the city).

There's a place downtown that sort of *was* a cajun place, and they still have some decent dishes, but they're too busy trying to be a club and sushi bar too.

Why I am I mentioning all this? Simple. I want cajun food. GOOD cajun food. And if they won't bring the cajun food to me? Then, dammit.....

Attachments

• Flight.JPG
    Flight.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 269

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah Baby Yeah!!!

I'm putting crawfish omelet on the brunch menu this weekend in honour of your visit. You can get the meatballs on Monday!

I'd love to go to DBA with you on Saturday night for some John Boutte and Bourbon! Let me know!!

See you in two days!!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like your solution, RonJohn!

Hmmmmm, there just aren't any good Caribbean places around here ......

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
And there aren't any good Chicago deep dish pizza places around here.

I'd love some crawfish ettouffee right now....

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
No pictures yet... but he's just like his picture and his wife is lovely!!!

We're meeting for drinks and jazz tonight. My neighbour is joining us as well.

DBA and John Boutte tonight. If any of you ever watched the HBO series Treme, John Boutte sings the opening/credits song. And DBA has finally gone completely smoke free! In addition to having a great line of the dark boozes (bourbons, scotches, whiskeys) it's a great place to hear music.

I'll report later:wave:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
There's a picture of him somewhere.....I recognized him the minute I saw him.
hahaha...so where is this picture I've seen???? hahaha...I know what a keg looks like..

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've got pictures from last night, but here at work, I've saved them to snapfish....how do I get the pictures from snapfish like I do from photobucket?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've got pictures from last night, but here at work, I've saved them to snapfish....how do I get the pictures from snapfish like I do from photobucket?

I don't know the answer to your snapfish question but why don't you upload to NCT directly from your computer using the attachments device (the little paper clip).

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Well, now I'm home...so the pictures, which are really very nice, will have to wait till tomorrow...boo hoo.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, Ronjohn DOES look like a keg!!!

Seriously, those are terrific pictures!

Who is the brunette lady?

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Our neighbour, Carol. We had a great time listening to John Boutte. Had to bug out by 10, though...work the next day for me.

Ronjohn

Ok. Gotta check in. When we get home I'll post more but we're having a blast down here. We're at Acme oyster right now but we've been regulars at Red Gravy and its fantastic. Will postmore when we get home but VB (and Lou) has been fanstic. It's baan a great trip.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, I'm so jealous! Thanks so much, Ronjohn, for letting us all live vicariously through you! Did you ever see so many handsome/beautiful people? Great pics - and everyone has such lovely big smiles on their faces.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That Lou has such an engaging smile.
I wonder if he's ever in a bad mood.
Vera? lol
No wonder he's smiling all the time.. he's with the Red Gravy Lady ;)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, now THAT is a great picture of two cutie-pies!

Lee

Ronjohn

Ok, some thought on the trip the day after getting home. And that means I'm back at work after a weekend of :alc:

So, in no particular order of importance....

Red gravy is a fantastic little place. VB can flat out cook. Everything we tried was delicious. We stayed at a place about 2 blocks from it and walked there every day we were in N.O.

Being tipsy and trying to type messages on my blackberry while on vacation is a horrible idea. My spelling is horrible enough without a tiny keyboard and impaired perception. ;)

The hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's are very strong. So are the cyclones. We know, we tried both. And while we survived, we saw a couple of people there who couldn't and needed some help walking out.

The food down there is incredible. There was jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice with Andouille sausage. And crawfish Po'Boys. And oysters at Acme.

Speaking of the food, red beans and rice at Midnight is yummy.

So is Cafe Au Lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde at whatever time it was at night.

Somehow, I felt like I was cheating on Bourbon Street by drinking Tequila. The Bourbon bar was on Frenchman Street though. The Tequila bar was on Bourbon Street. :huh:

We had no car, so we walked. Probably 30 miles or more I'd imagine. (And with all the food, we needed to!)

Cooking aside, I can't say enough nice things about how friendly VB and Lou were to us.

We didn't get to do a lot of the things that looked like fun, so we'll just have to go back.

The weather there was fantastic. Especially since it was 20F and snowing like crazy when we left. It was sunny and 60 when we got into New Orleans.

Lastly, we had an absolute blast down there. A fantastic weekend getaway.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Can't even begin to tell you how wonderful you and Shelia are!! I loved Saturday night with you both! Only wish we were able to get to Preservation Hall with you.

Please come back soon!!!

PS to Shelia.....I think I'll put boozy oatmeal on the menu! oxoxo