Panzanella (Tomato and Bread Salad)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My part-time roommate stays with me 2-3 nights a week. She ALWAYS brings a loaf of French bread, a baguette or fresh crusty rolls, and I'm not much of a bread-eater, but I hate to toss food out.

Tonight, I made a simple panzanella, which I LOVE!!!

I used:
- half a loaf of French bread, cubed,
- four small garden tomatoes, cubed
- some thinly sliced red onion
- chiffonaded basil

Tossed together with a mixture of 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup red wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Served this as a side with my beloved store-bought rotisserie chicken.

MAN! This was a great after-work meal!

Lee
Panzanella.JPG

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That looks fantastic Lee. I have never had that before. I usually just have tomato salad with the bread on the side to dip. This sounds wonderful.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, LS and Peep.

Peep, this is a good way to use up French bread that's a day or two old. The dressing and juice of the tomatoes moistens the bread and it's delicious!

Lee

Carolina Cooking

:a1::a1: love this salad. I made it a lot.
when I could eat bread. :(

when I lived in Md, my neighbor from Boston would go up on business & brng back on the plane. some place had the best chinese food in the world.can you amagine the other folks saying whats that smell. :laugh::laugh:
then the bread. omg he brought back bread. like we didn't already have the greatest bread from all the ethnic bakerys in Baltimore. I was at the time getting my sourdough right from San FranCa. by UPS. then Boston bread. wow I was in love. :thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

This time I used scallions, and I drizzled a little Good Seasons Italian salad dressing on the bread salad.

Can't wait to be using my own homegrown tomatoes for this! My basil is ready - just waiting for the tomatoes to catch up!

Lee
Panzanella, Bread Salad.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Haven't made this for awhile, but I had half a loaf of Italian bread and lots of tomatoes and basil, and a small chunk of mozzarella.

I used the NYTimes recipe this time, and although I liked the toasted bread cubes better than non-toasted, I had to add Good Seasonings Italian dressing for flavor.

I'll stick with the Good Seasonings from now on.

Lee
panzanella.JPG

Last edited: