French Onion Chicken

Johnny West

This will be tonight's dinner with acorn squash on the side.

I'll substitute gluten free brown gravy for the flour and may put a little white wine in with the broth. I'm using thighs, too.

French Onion Chicken
Saucy one pan French onion chicken with juicy pan-seared chicken smothered in caramelized onion gravy and three kinds of melty Italian cheese. This 30 minute meal will be a staple in your house!
COURSE MAIN COURSE
KEYWORD CHICKEN, FRENCH ONION
PREP TIME 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME 25 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME 30 MINUTES
SERVINGS 4 PEOPLE
AUTHOR TIFFANY

French Onion Chicken

Ingredients
2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced into rings
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons beef broth, divided
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Italian blend herbs/Italian seasoning (OR 1/4 teaspoon dried basil + 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme + 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
2 tablespoons flour
4 slices provolone cheese
4 slices swiss cheese
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
fresh thyme or parsley and cracked black pepper for topping (optional)

Instructions

Preheat oven to bake at 400 degrees OR broil on low. In a large oven-safe skillet (see note) over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and 3 tablespoons beef broth and saute onions for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally so the onions don't burn, for about 15 minutes longer until browned and very tender. Use tongs or a fork to transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.

While onions are cooking, prepare the chicken by drizzling with oil, then seasoning with salt and pepper (to taste) and Italian herbs. Once onions have finished cooking and are removed from the pan, cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side (don't clean out the pan between the onions and chicken) until browned on both sides. (Chicken may not be fully cooked through yet, that is okay).

Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm and return the onions to the pan. Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add beef broth and continue to cook, stirring throughout, until mixture comes to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken to pan and spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken.

Top chicken with one slice of provolone each, then one slice of swiss, then 1/4 of the parmesan cheese. Transfer skillet to your preheated oven and cook for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through completely and cheeses are melted.

Spoon some of the onions and gravy over the top of the chicken, garnish with thyme or parsley and cracked black pepper, and serve.

Recipe Notes

If you don't have a cast iron skillet, any other oven-safe skillet will do OR you can transfer everything to a casserole dish or baking pan for the baking portion of the recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Onion-y, cheese-y goodness!

Printed out to make!

Lee

Johnny West

Since I've been doing gluten free I used a McCormick's gluten free brown gravy packet instead of flour and it was quite good.I also put a half cup of French brandy in with the broth but after cooking couldn't tell it was in the mix.The next time I'l use chicken breast. Some of the comments from gals that tried this thought it to cheesy. ??

Attachments

• #####FOC I.jpg
    #####FOC I.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 176
  • #####FOC II.jpg
    #####FOC II.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 174
  • #####FOC IV.jpg
    #####FOC IV.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 169
  • #####FOC III.jpg
    #####FOC III.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 171
  • #####FOC V.jpg
    #####FOC V.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 170
  • #####FOC VI.jpg
    #####FOC VI.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 172

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm, well I have Swiss and parm and guess I won't bother to go buy some provolone.

Looks beautiful, John!

Lee

Johnny West

I fried the chicken till it was mostly done. I didn't think her times looked good to me. I had bone in thighs and next time would de-bone them.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've done this before with breasts. It is really good, and yours looks great, JW.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this tonight using 2 boneless breasts - huge, so I pounded them a bit and cut them in half.

Made the recipe exactly, putting half a slice of each type of cheese on each piece, with a little mound of parm. Was not too cheesey at all.

Nor was it too salty, which I feared. I used low sodium beef broth.

Served over a slice of good rye toast - DELICIOUS!

Another great NCT-inspired meal!

Thanks, John!

Lee

Attachments

• French Onion chicken 1.JPG
    French Onion chicken 1.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 173
  • French Onion chicken 2.JPG
    French Onion chicken 2.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 170