So, do I really need both of these?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I inherited a Foley Food Mill decades ago, and I picked up a ricer a mere 5-ish years ago. Duplication?

The food mill will rice potatoes, spatezle (sp?) , etc. ... right?

Lee

Ricers.jpeg

Shermie

Site Supporter
I inherited a Foley Food Mill decades ago, and I picked up a ricer a mere 5-ish years ago. Duplication?

The food mill will rice potatoes, spatezle (sp?) , etc. ... right?

Lee

View attachment 60980
Food Mill.jpg

Had a small plastic one shaped l9ike the one on the left. Gave it to my brother. The one pictured that looks like yours, I kept. It's all stainless steel. :whistling:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I also have one of THESE, a plastic version of the metal ricer. Gopt another one to replace the one that I gave to my brother because I missed it!!!! :whistling:
plastic Ricer..jpg

Ginny

Can you use the Food Mill for mashed potatoes, without removing the skins from the taters? I've never had a food mill, so I don't know how it would work on that. My Ricer, I just nuke, bake or boil my potatoes, in their skins, then cut them in half on the short side, place open end down in the ricer and squish. They leave their skins behind. I feel like I get the added benefit without having to peel them. :unsure:

lilbopeep

🌹 🍉 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I use my food mill when I make apple sauce. All I do is quarter the apples. After cooking, I put the apples in the mill. Skins, cores, and pits are left in the basket.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can you use the Food Mill for mashed potatoes, without removing the skins from the taters? I've never had a food mill, so I don't know how it would work on that. My Ricer, I just nuke, bake or boil my potatoes, in their skins, then cut them in half on the short side, place open end down in the ricer and squish. They leave their skins behind. I feel like I get the added benefit without having to peel them. :unsure:
Yes, sure you can use them with baked potatoes, skin on.

Lee