Did you know?

Johnny West

IMG_6448.jpeg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
My first mascara as a young teen was that Maybelline block stuff. We've come a long way since!

On another note, I'm due for a great eggplant dish!

Lee
Lee, when I was 10 years old, my youngest aunt (Mother's sister) was 20.
She used that mascara too.
I would sit and watch her do her face.
She was very mod, and taken in by Petula Clark.
She had all her records, even wore her hair in the same fashion.

LastManStanding

Andy Morrison is the coach of the national football team of Sri Lanka.
(The following text is from Wikipedia)
In September 2010 it was announced that he had been appointed as manager of the Seychelles national football team. In fact, they had appointed Andrew Amers-Morrison who was visiting the country on holiday and whom the Seychellois football officials mistakenly believed was Andy Morrison. Suketu Patel, chairman of the Seychelles Football Federation (SFF) conceded that "we thought we were getting the real Andy Morrison".

LastManStanding

Des Destinées de l'Ame (Destinies of the Soul) has been housed at Houghton Library since the 1930s.

In 2014, scientists determined that the material it was bound with was in fact human skin.

Des Destinées de l'Ame is a meditation on the soul and life after death, written by Arsène Houssaye in the mid-1880s. He is said to have given it to his friend, Dr Ludovic Bouland, a doctor, who then reportedly bound the book with skin from the body of an unclaimed female patient who had died of natural causes.

Des Destinées de l'Ame arrived at Harvard in 1934. Located within the book is a note written by Dr Bouland, stating no ornament had been stamped on the cover to "preserve its elegance".

"I had kept this piece of human skin taken from the back of a woman," he wrote. "A book about the human soul deserved to have a human covering."

But the university has now announced it has removed the binding "due to the ethically fraught nature of the book's origins and subsequent history".

It added it was looking at ways to ensure "the human remains will be given a respectful disposition that seeks to restore dignity to the woman whose skin was used".

From BBC (published 7 hours ago)

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Vivian Distin (née Liberto, formerly Cash; April 23, 1934 – May 24, 2005) was an American homemaker and author. She is notable as the first wife of singer Johnny Cash and mother of their four daughters. She inspired his first hit single "I Walk the Line".[1]

Born and raised in San Antonio, Texas, she grew up in Sicilian-American culture and was raised Catholic. Following her marriage to Cash in Texas, she was subject to controversy in 1965–1966 related to her racial identity because of publicity after her husband's arrest for drug possession. White supremacists, judging by her appearance in a widely published photo, claimed that she was black and thus married illegally to her husband. She and her husband were subject to harassment and he was boycotted for a year in the South before his manager documented her background as white.

1.jpeg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Lobsters Were Once So Common That They Were Fed to Inmates & Servants !
During the American colonial period, lobsters were not valued as food and were mainly eaten by the poor, prisoners, and indentured servants. Native tribes near the coasts used lobsters as fertilizer or bait rather than food.
People even hid lobster shells to avoid the stigma of poverty. In Massachusetts, indentured servants sued to limit their lobster meals to three times a week, winning the case.
Lobsters were abundant, easy to collect from the shore, and considered bottom feeders. They were often consumed as a paste or stew. In the early 19th century, lobsters were cheaper than Boston baked beans, sometimes even fed to cats.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
PEE-EW !

The Horse Manure Problem of 1894
The 15 to 30 pounds of manure produced daily by each beast multiplied by the 150,000+ horses in New York city resulted in more than three million pounds of horse manure per day that somehow needed to be disposed of. That’s not to mention the daily 40,000 gallons of horse urine.
In other words, cities reeked.