What are you doing today?

Embryodad

I think they made a good choice with the white. It's classic and will never go out of style. When I re-do my bathroom, I'm going to use plain white subway tiles.

Yeah! Earth tones tile, and all white is nice for the tub and toilet.

The little toilet they had, was the deepest yellow I ever had seen.
As a Plumber, when working that trade with Dads Business, in the late 50's...yellow and oink and advocado, and browns were in.
I had never seen or installed such a toilet.
I told my son, "That toilet is a School Bus Yellow!":yum:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never seen a school bus yellow toilet either. My in-laws had mammary gland pink :corny: toilets, tubs, and counter tops. A lot of people like that retro look.

Embryodad

I've never seen a school bus yellow toilet either. My in-laws had mammary gland pink :corny: toilets, tubs, and counter tops. A lot of people like that retro look.

It took a while for me to figure that out (pink); but I get it now.

I told my son, Save the toilet and put it in the back yard, and Sherrie could plant flowers in the bowl and the tank..
He said,"Dad, are you sick?":laugh:

Leni

Got home from the beach yesterday only to find out that the hot water heater has died. Today we go buy a new one and my son will install it.

Leni

It's a gas heater. Turns out that we bought it from Sears and it was (thankfully) still under warranty. Sears is sending a guy out tomorrow morning to verify that it is the same heater and it is still connected to the house. Once he does that we get a brand new one for free. The warranty is ten years and we bought it seven years ago. Not a bad deal at all.

My son has worked a variety of jobs including plumbing. Comes in very handy. Now about that faucet that won''t stop dripping.....

Embryodad

It's a gas heater. Turns out that we bought it from Sears and it was (thankfully) still under warranty. Sears is sending a guy out tomorrow morning to verify that it is the same heater and it is still connected to the house. Once he does that we get a brand new one for free. The warranty is ten years and we bought it seven years ago. Not a bad deal at all.

My son has worked a variety of jobs including plumbing. Comes in very handy. Now about that faucet that won''t stop dripping.....
Well that is great news. Great that you bought it from Sears Roebuck. I always liked Sears.
Again...Great that your son can do that installation. God Bless Him!

Leni

Son Marshall is also trying to rescue the situation. Sears told us that they'd have somebody out here this morning. When they didn't show up Tom called and was told that we were scheduled for Thursday. The earliest they could come out was tomorrow evening. He blew a gasket and told them to cancel, he'd go out and buy new heater and to go to you know where.

Marshall called Sears and told them that this is an emergency. My husband just had a small stroke and I have a disabled daughter living with us. I have enough on my mind without having the problem of no hot water for three or four days. They were about to send a tech out on an emergency basis when they saw that Tom had canceled the request earlier. Marshall is now on the phone trying to straighten things out.

So we'll see. Life is never dull.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
We finally cooled down so all the outside work I have been putting off is today's priority. Got some garden and fence work as well as weed eater the rest of the fence line. Need to pick peas as they are filling out pods now. If I am not too worn out will also haul dirt and fill up the new herb boxes.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've got some recessed lighting under the eaves of my house that have some rust on the rings (baffles??). I've looked everywhere for the right size rings but haven't had any luck and don't want to replace the whole fixture (12 of them :(). I did a little search and came up with this video on painting rusty metal:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4YktQ6ALzI[/ame]

I'm thinking about giving plasti-kote rust converter a try. If anyone has used it, I'd love to hear your opinions...works great, waste of money, try this instead, etc.

Leni

We finally had two guys out today. They repaired the heater which for Sears is cheaper than a replacement. The tank was still okay, it was the frigging igniter that had broken. Finally I can take a shower and wash my hair. :clap:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My old weed eater bit the dust, so I went and bought another one the other day. I had a he11 of a time getting the guard on it, but I finally managed. Next step was to take the tape off of the string. Did that, discovered that there were two strings, and started to cut one off thinking that it was just extra that wasn't wound right. Got the scissors, looked a little closer....it's a two-stringer :yum:.

Embryodad

I've got some recessed lighting under the eaves of my house that have some rust on the rings (baffles??). I've looked everywhere for the right size rings but haven't had any luck and don't want to replace the whole fixture (12 of them :(). I did a little search and came up with this video on painting rusty metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4YktQ6ALzI

I'm thinking about giving plasti-kote rust converter a try. If anyone has used it, I'd love to hear your opinions...works great, waste of money, try this instead, etc.

I have used it before on an older car. It held up a year or more, and was then that I sold the car, and it was not rusted on that spot.
As a matter of fact...I am about to use it again on the fender well edges before I buy and install fender trim kits.

*Only one note with that paint. If it is in a container....do not double dip the brush into the can. It will set up a chemical reaction that will render the rust inhibitors useless. Pour what you will be using into a separate container.

Embryodad

We finally had two guys out today. They repaired the heater which for Sears is cheaper than a replacement. The tank was still okay, it was the frigging igniter that had broken. Finally I can take a shower and wash my hair. :clap:
Consider yourself lucky. The heaters today are no longer $239.99.

The hot surface igniter is very delicate, and they do get weak or burn out and crumble. They do that on gas ovens too!
Glad you got it working ok!

Embryodad

Today was limber up the arthritic joints. I moved 2 tons of wood pellets from the driveway to the back of the house under the porch.

Ian M.

Today, so far, has been my experience with a nasty case of cerebral rot! Entitled trying to buy items for DW from ebay, using PayPal. What a crock that duo is! I'd have to say that PayPal, for all they tout themselves as making the experience so much easier and safer and less confusing - was, for us, a total bust! Changing passwords a dozen times, spending three hours on the internet, trying to square things away, just to purchase Fallon a pair of really nice leather riding boots for winter and a boot jack to make getting them on and off simpler was a complete trial.....finally got the deed accomplished at 2PM this afternoon (this began last night at 9PM) and have sworn off ever buying anything using PayPal again in my entire life! If anybody has ever had an experience wtih them, please let me know if this is mistakes I'm making or if other people have the experience of courting a nervous breakdown trying to deal with them!
Just as a matter of interest - I have never dealt very well with trying to talk to automated representatives on the phone - they just go round and round and leave you feeling somewhat raped and pillaged!

Ian

Embryodad

Today, so far, has been my experience with a nasty case of cerebral rot! Entitled trying to buy items for DW from ebay, using PayPal. What a crock that duo is! I'd have to say that PayPal, for all they tout themselves as making the experience so much easier and safer and less confusing - was, for us, a total bust! Changing passwords a dozen times, spending three hours on the internet, trying to square things away, just to purchase Fallon a pair of really nice leather riding boots for winter and a boot jack to make getting them on and off simpler was a complete trial.....finally got the deed accomplished at 2PM this afternoon (this began last night at 9PM) and have sworn off ever buying anything using PayPal again in my entire life! If anybody has ever had an experience wtih them, please let me know if this is mistakes I'm making or if other people have the experience of courting a nervous breakdown trying to deal with them!
Just as a matter of interest - I have never dealt very well with trying to talk to automated representatives on the phone - they just go round and round and leave you feeling somewhat raped and pillaged!

Ian
Ian... When Tina first signed up for a ebay and PayPal account. I helped do the transactions, and I went in circles and landed in the abyss of negatives for at least 4 hours. A lot of the intricate things like ( Verify your Address) and etc. were so confusing to me too!! LOL
Finally we got the account, and all the bs that came with it that I had no understanding of, and of how the balance and billing and payments worked.
That was 6 years ago.
NOW!.... The easiest and fastest way to check out, and all my transactions are on record with PayPal Too! ..... I use my other payment credit cards (Thru PayPal) with no problems giving my account numbers to venders or even sites that Use PayPal.
I learned to like it, and trust the transaction. I had ONE transaction that I bought 1 33.00 at Ebay and the seller went out of business.
I reported it to payPal, and they tracked the lady down, and she finally sent me my item brand new, and she probably had to buy it herself from another vender.
It took 3 months, but I got what I paid for!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Dealing with paypal is the biggest PITA you will ever face. After 10 years they now say my address in not verified. Hello....? you keep shipping stuff so it obviously is. This all goes back to me not telling them the new expiration date for my discover card. Same card for 10 years also. They do automatic debits from my bank account but want a credit card also. Here is a nice little tidbit to show you how the digital world works. I had to contact Discover card and they had all 3 different banks and account numbers on file. She asked me which one I wanted the money credited to. I only ever pay from one bank but they have them all. Hell, they probably know where my CD's are in a 4th bank!! I don't trust any bank that much, hence why I deal with multiple ones. I like being on a first name basis with them so if they ever try to fold I will be at their house and get my money.:whistle:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Back on topic...
Today I moved 10 round bales down the hollow to my Amish neighbor's barn. It is 87 and muggy as hell out there. Me and the tractor are hot and tired. Kicking back in the a/c now.

Ian M.

Thanks, Embryodad and MM - it made me feel some better to find out that I'm not totally alone in my fun trip into the world of complete insanity! Never again! I'd rather bale hay on a hot day, thanks all the same! MM, do you do round or square baies? At least with the round ones, you can roll them down the hill. Out on the salt flats near where my dad lives they bale round - neat. I remember when we were kids that every once in a while little "critters" would get baled into the bales - when you'd break open a bale for the stock, a tiny mouse or little bunny would scamper out and run for it's life. Hot work, but the tall, cold lemonade at the end was what made it all worthwhile doing. And working with Da was well worth the sweating, too. At the age of seven or eight, the three of us felt like real he-man farmers getting to work with Da and help on the acerage. A big deal to us. A lot of work to him! Especially keeping us out of trouble!

Ian

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm not fond of Paypal at all, Ian.

I have used it before on an older car. It held up a year or more, and was then that I sold the car, and it was not rusted on that spot.
As a matter of fact...I am about to use it again on the fender well edges before I buy and install fender trim kits.

*Only one note with that paint. If it is in a container....do not double dip the brush into the can. It will set up a chemical reaction that will render the rust inhibitors useless. Pour what you will be using into a separate container.

Thanks for the tip. I went three different places looking for Plasti-Kote but couldn't find it. I ended up buying a similar product at Sherwin Williams. I'm going to use it on my mailbox too, just as soon as I get around to it :whistling:.

Embryodad

I'm not fond of Paypal at all, Ian.

Thanks for the tip. I went three different places looking for Plasti-Kote but couldn't find it. I ended up buying a similar product at Sherwin Williams. I'm going to use it on my mailbox too, just as soon as I get around to it :whistling:.

Oh Wow! That is good stuff Cooksie...:wow:

Jimmy Jr. Bought that at S and W and painted his deck and steps, and it is the best. It doesn't peel, and it really covers well. It's not cheap, but it is the best around.

Leni

I am heading to the beach for a whole week. Good timing too because it is going to be 105+ and humid.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Have fun Leni!

Well, our fridge is fixin' to bite the dust. I buy skim milk to drink and whole milk to cook with. The last 2 gallons of whole milk that I bought have spoiled well before the sell by date. The last one I threw away yesterday and the sell by date was Sept. 5th. I've got it on the coldest setting but it's not helping. I guess after 20 years I really can't complain much. Anyway, we bought a new one today. It's going to be delivered tomorrow. My goodness have the prices ever increased :ohmy: I just hope this one lasts as long as the last one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sGVN-ZH00[/ame]

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Ran a wire for my neighbor's pole light from his house panel to the poles and hooked it in. This way he can get rid of the meter they are charging him $15 a months plus what it uses. Then worked in the garden weeding the herb boxes and a few other areas. Just went to look at the neighbor lady's basement window. She wants me to put wood across where the pane of glass fell out. Told her we really need to cement some stones back in the foundation where I can stick my arm in the basement along the side of the window box. Has to be ton of cold air rolling in there in the winter. Will get some mortar mix next time I go to Lowes and fit some stones in the holes. Stopped by tomorrow's auction and got a number. Stuff is still coming in and will continue tomorrow morning till they start. Have to get working on my truck as soon as i clear some area in my building. Looks like the master cylinder went . Hope that is it and not another rusted metal line.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You are such a wonderful neighbor! Neighbors like you are hard to find. I sure hope they appreciate you.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Car shopping today. It's been 8 years since we've done it. Pretty brutal when done right.:twak:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm trying to get my car fixed today. I was just tooling along about 60 mph, and it died. I was lucky to be able to coast to the shoulder of the road. Today everybody is busy, of course :glare:.

Nice fridge, Mama. I've never seen the digital display for pic's on the door like that.