Buffalo Potato Wedges

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 8 wedges each
1/4 cup of Olive Oil
1/2 cup of Dry Parmesan Cheese (the kind in the green can:ohmy:...yep...I said the GREEN can... :hide: )
1 cup of Instant Potato Flakes
2 teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning
A pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt and the potato wedges. Cook for about 5 minutes. Drain.

Put the wedges in a large bowl and coat with Olive Oil. In a separate bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, potato flakes, Old Bay Seasoning and cayenne pepper. Mix well.

Add the cheese mixture to the potatoes and toss to coat.

Spray a shallow baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes or until potatoes are done and outside begins to brown.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome! We’re doing hamburgers and hotdogs tonight on the grill. We were going to have fries, but now, we’ll have these!! :thumb:

Couple of questions:

1. Do you let the wedges completely cool after the first 5 minute blanch, or use them warm? Does it matter?

2. What is in Old Bay Seasoning? What’s comparable? I don’t have that, but may have some of it’s individual components.

Thanks!

Oh......I DO have the GREEN can though! :yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, Tony Cachere's is comparable.

Take pictures.

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I coat the potato wedges while they are still warm.

This is Old Bay Seasoning. It's used in a lot of seafood dishes and crab boils:

Lee is right, Cajun seasoning will work. I found this recipe for Old Bay on the internet:

• 1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
  • 2 teaspoons celery salt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
I forgot to post the pic of the wedges. Here they are

Attachments

• potato-wedges.jpg
    potato-wedges.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 174

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, thanks Mama! I've seen Old Bay before now that you post the pic of it. Qsis is right, Tony's is comparable, so I think I'm good. Looks like you didn't peel those? I was thinking of not peeling mine as well. What do you think?

Can't wait to try these!! Thank you!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You're welcome. The paprika ought to work just fine as a sub...although...they're not really hot...just a slight after burn...nothing bad. And nope, I didn't peel mine. I used LARGE potatoes, if you use smaller ones, you may want to cut them each into 6 wedges, use your best judgment.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I almost only use Yukon Gold potatoes, and I never peel them, no matter how I use them.

These look great, Mama! I will try them!

Thanks!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
UT OH I NEVER EVER use the green can :sad: Can I use fresh grated?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
UT OH I NEVER EVER use the green can :sad: Can I use fresh grated?

Here's all you have to do.......

Don't grate the cheese. Run it through the food processor with the chopping blade until it's pulverized into a powder. Then spread it out on a piece of cardboard for a few weeks to completely infuse the cheese with the cardboard flavor. This will also help to dry it out.

Now you can make the recipe with your 'fresh' cheese!

:oops: I'm sorry, guys. I just couldn't help myself. :bonk:

Mama, your potatoes look 'OMG' great! I am definitely going to try them.:respect:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Don't grate the cheese. Run it through the food processor with the chopping blade until it's pulverized into a powder. Then spread it out on a piece of cardboard for a few weeks to completely infuse the cheese with the cardboard flavor. This will also help to dry it out.

Mama, your potatoes look 'OMG' great! I am definitely going to try them.:respect:
What cheese will you use? LOL

Mr. Green Jeans

Keltin, look for Old Bay by the seafood counter at your local grocer. It is never displayed in the spice aisle in my shopping experiences.
I'd try those wedges on the grill as well!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

You gonna use the green can? :waiting:

:yum: :yum: :yum:

Peepers. If you grate it instead of shredding it, it should work okay...maybe not as well as the GREEN CAN :mrgreen: but it should work :lol:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Nope, just gives it that "green can" flavor :yum:
YIKES!! I never had the green can ever in my life in my house. Mom always used fresh. When I moved out of her house I would buy the bottle of Colona (sp) cheese for a short while. Then I decided I would go without. LOL I am sure I have had it "out".

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I grew up dirt poor so we were lucky to be able to afford the green can. When we did have it, it was always the store brand...now, I can afford to buy the Kraft...no more off brand stuff for me :wink: .

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I, too, grew up with the green can. But once I tasted real cheese, I never went back.

Parm-reg is not as expensive if you buy the big wedge at Costco, and it lasts forever. It doesn't easily mold like mozz. It only takes a second to run the microplane over the end of the wedge and have a couple tablespoons of really flavorful cheese. It has so much more flavor that you use less.

It's one of many choices we make:

jarred spaghetti sauce
packaged hollandaise
frozen pie crust
canned chicken broth
instant potatoes
frozen pizza
cake mixes
dried pasta
store-bought bread
etc.......

We each choose our own convenience. I choose some of the above, not others. You choose differently. It's all good. Anything that gets us together in the kitchen is a step forward.

But we still do get to make jokes about the green can. :boxing: That's allowed, as long as no one takes it seriously! :drama:

I understand cost dictating the choice. Lord knows I've lived through some lean times, too.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I grew up dirt poor so we were lucky to be able to afford the green can. When we did have it, it was always the store brand...now, I can afford to buy the Kraft...no more off brand stuff for me :wink: .
I grew up on welfare till I was in school full time (1st) grade. Then Mom got 2 part time jobs (a couple hours while I was in school) so she would be home when I got home from school. And a second at night for a couple hours after dinner and I would go to a neighbors house till she got home. When I got older she worked full time days and was a Tupperware Dealer at night and I went to the parties with her whenever possible. I know about poor trust me. Mom would sprimp just to buy a tiny piece of cheese and like SS said it lasts quite awhile. She used it sparingly. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my gosh! these sound delicious Mama.
Another use for Old Bay!
Love the stuff!
Keltin, I saw it at the Dollar Store for 3 bucks!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm not offended Peepers. I was just explaining why I LIKE the green can. When I was a kid, it was a real treat to get the stuff in the green can to sprinkle on your spaghetti, we looked forward to it so it brings back fond memories. I choose to have it now. I also use the real stuff now but I like the green can too.

Thanks Sass! I hope you try them.

Did you get a chance to try them Keltin?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:thumb: Those potato wedges look great!

I missed all the "green can" stuff on the other forum. It must have been a doozie, one of those never to be forgotten things.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
:thumb: Those potato wedges look great!

I missed all the "green can" stuff on the other forum. It must have been a doozie, one of those never to be forgotten things.
Me too!! BTW There are WAY to many "other forums". I have no clue which other forum we are talking about any more LOL TeeHee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not offended Peepers. I was just explaining why I LIKE the green can. When I was a kid, it was a real treat to get the stuff in the green can to sprinkle on your spaghetti, we looked forward to it so it brings back fond memories. I choose to have it now. I also use the real stuff now but I like the green can too.

Thanks Sass! I hope you try them.

Did you get a chance to try them Keltin?

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.............................:oops:

I wasn’t going to post these because I screwed up……but that is part of it right. So what the hey. We all have those nights right? Seriously.....it's not just me right???? :lol:

I modified the recipe to used only three potatoes and 3/4 potato flakes (all I had in the flakes, we were low). I didn’t get the Tony’s Seasoning amount right for the adjustment, so the color was a bit off, and they needed a little salt. But the Parm flavor came through perfectly!

I screwed up on the first blanch. I put a load in the water, then went off and got distracted. Next thing I know, the wedges were boiled to mash! Crap! :pat:

Started over with a new batch, and used the first batch for beef hash at breakfast.

Finally got the wedges right, but FORGOT to coat them in oil!! :pat:

I put them in a bowl of cool water after the blanch, and then coated them in the mix with water only. This affected my browning, but I still got a tasty and crispy crust.

Just one of those nights! :pat:

Thanks for the recipe Mama! I’ll get her right next time, but so far, even screwing it up tasted great!! I liked the crust, it just didn't brown right for the pics since I fluffed the oil. Ooops. But, it WAS crunchy and tasty! My pics just don't match yours. Still good though. :thumb:

:hide:

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 130
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 127

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Nothing against the fresh stuff either!

We don’t eat a lot of Parm. Maybe twice a month, and that is considered heavy usage! :w00t:

How long does a “fresh” wedge of parm last? Where do you buy it? I don’t see it at Publix or Wal-Mart?

The Green Can is everywhere, and it lasts for months. Some say you can pass a can on to your grandchildren! :yum: :yum: :yum:

Considering we only use a small bit once to twice a month, how long does a fresh block last? If it can go the distance of say 6 months in the fridge, it might be worth it to buy a fresh block, but if it goes south in 1-2 months, we’d be wasting money. Any ideas?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
They look pretty darn awesome!

They tasted GREAT! Nice and crispy outside, tender inside, good flavor, and DW pulled out a small bit of Ranch for dipping as well (no pic of that). We really enjoyed these. But........I've got to try harder to get these more true to the recipe! Just getting close was great. Can't wait to do it right and get the real deal! Thanks Mama!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm glad y'all liked it Keltin. I dip mine in ranch too.

You can get blocks of Parm near the deli in Publix. Not sure about Wal-Mart...I don't buy anything perishable from Wal-Mart anymore. They're bad about letting anything refrigerated/frozen sit out for longer than it should before putting in the cases. I've bought lunch meat from the deli more that once that was spoiled when they sold it to me. I was NOT a happy camper when I opened the package. Live and learn. As for storage: Parmigiano-Reggiano Storing Information